Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

50 amp SmartPlug

They have finally released the 50 amp version as noted in other threads. Has anyone installed one yet? I need to reseal my boat-side power inlet panel and was thinking of replacing the receptacle and cord plug at the same time, but I am always a bit skeptical of a new product. The interrupt/overheat feature of this plug could be a nightmare if it doesn't work properly.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Re: 50 amp SmartPlug

On my "Bucket List" for winter projects. Port, Starboard and Bow....$ add up quickly!
    The other option is going with a Glenndinning system....which is a serious contender right now as I hate
    having the cables hanging about.

I am in the same quandary but leaning towards Glendinning just for the ease of use. The question I have is where do I install it. Bruce Morrison spec-ed out putting a single unit (He has done this before) on the front side of the fore cabin top and leave the Port and Starboard inlets as they are.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    I am in the same quandary but leaning towards Glendinning just for the ease of use. The question I have is where do I install it. Bruce Morrison spec-ed out putting a single unit (He has done this before) on the front side of the fore cabin top and leave the Port and Starboard inlets as they are.
    Wouldn't leaving the existing inlets as they are mean the inlets are hot when power is applied. Sounds a bit dangerous if you have a curious child, or an unfamiliar person on board.

I'd never thought about that before. So if I'm plugged in to shore power, are the other two outlet stations "hot"?

No, of course not. That is ridiculous. The whole reason their is the rotary switch on your panel... It selects which port to connect to and isolates the others. A glendenning port would likwise be switched.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Does that mean the rotary switch is upgraded to a new switch to accomodate the Glendenning when it is installed?

Or does the glendennig get hooked up directly and it is up to the owner to remember to turn off the switch when the glendenning connection is used? Leaving no way to kill the power without going outside and disconnecting it at the bulkhead, or the pedistal.
    Last edited by Boatnut; 08-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.