Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bilge Blower

Bilge Blower

I need to replace two bilge blowers. Mechanic says that existing blowers are not moving enough air to keep engines from vapor locking. (gas).

Recommended a blower made by Delta T Lil' Champ- a 4 inch, 350 CFM, 12V, Flex mount. About $160. This is the smalles blower that Delta T makes. Most of their products are for large vessels. I have looked on line and found blowers made by JABSCO, in the same price range, maybe a little more expensive, but do not seem to have the CFM output the Delta claims.

Does anyone have any experience here? I searched previous post and found one thumbs up for Delta T.

I really want a quiet set of Blowers. The ones I have now, you can hear from the bridge, even when you are running.

Recomendations.
    Last edited by Kim Beatley; 08-18-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    PV23

Re: Bilge Blower

How does a bilge blower cause vapor lock?

If the engines fuel system vaporlocks how will larger blowers fix that?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Mechanic claims that engine room is too hot. Says there needs to be better heat dissipation. Once the engines cool a little, they will start right back up!
    PV23

You need better ventilation and air flow naturally without the blowers. Hooded move air from the low part of the bilge and not not an effective way to cool the area on a gas boat. If you draw out the hottest air up top there is no protection from the gasoline fumes.

Adding additional ventilation is the right way to go.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Cool Re: Bilge Blower

I jumped off the deep end and installed two Delta T 11 inch (1350 CFM) fans and two Delt T 350 CRM bilge blowers this weekend. Pulled panneling on starboard side to access exterior vents. I took out most of the 6 inch piping that Hatteras installed. It was full of holes and had totally deteriorited. Cut two new 4 inch holes in the vent for the bilge blowers. The old one, I left in place but routed the feed piping back into the lower cocpit, where there fuel tanks are. Had to replace the screening in the vents as well as most of the screens had detoriated.

Also opened up the Port side and strategicly placed intake piping, one to lower cocpit where the fuel tanks are and the other two to the engines.

I am going to have to start adding a little right rudder when running, as the air volumn coming out of the starboard vent, when the two fans are running, is going to push the boat sidways. I am amazed at how much air they move.

Maybe now I can keep the enginee room a little cooler.
    PV23

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Beatley View Post
    Mechanic claims that engine room is too hot. Says there needs to be better heat dissipation. Once the engines cool a little, they will start right back up!
    A buddy of mine with a gas Chris Craft Connie is having a similar problem, but only on one motor. Her mechanic has also theorized vapor lock, but I can't see how that can be it. Keep us posted if the problem you're having disappears.

Thx
    Q

With new fans, I can cool the engine room down almost 20 degrees when I turn them on... Have not had a problem with vapor lock since I started using them.

Next issue is how can to tell how much power is being consuming when the fans are switched on. They draw a lot of juice. Alternator gages drop way down. Do not know if engine alternators can keep up, or if I am drainaing down batterys when I am running. Need to figure out how to find out. Last thing I want to to be offshore and have dead batteries.

Is there a battery charger out there that will also run 12V equipment if being powered by boats generator?
    PV23