Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Re: Batteries

Zeee batteries are in! I removed the old, bad starbord batteries, moved the good port ones to starbord, and put new 819's on the port side.....BY MYSELF! so I am declaring myself "Cock of the Walk"... (it's a southern thing..head rooster!)
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Zeee batteries are in! I removed the old, bad starbord batteries, moved the good port ones to starbord, and put new 819's on the port side.....BY MYSELF! so I am declaring myself "Cock of the Walk"... (it's a southern thing..head rooster!)
    My back hurts from thinking about it. That's a big job to do alone.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    My back hurts from thinking about it. That's a big job to do alone.
    I agree. Batteries sent me to the Neurosurgeon!!

Those connecting cable look too small. My friend had a problem going through batteries until he upgraded connecting cable to the same 4/0 was the feeds to the engine. Apparently the batts didn't charge at the same rate due to the smaller cables. YMMV
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The connecting cables are about 1/2 the size of the main cables, too small perhaps, but the same as the connecting cables on the other bank. Interestingly, all the nuts, bolts and washers are copper! Never seen that before. Bigger connecting cables certainly wouldn't hurt. If I had a source to make them up, I'd swap them out.

I think you will find those cables are adequate size, remember they are not carrying to entire load. Heavier cables is not a bad idea, any good battery shop can make up the cables for you if needed, they have the heavy duty crimping equipment.

The first thing I thought of when looking at the pic was that the intermediate cables were too small. Thought they were cheap jumper cables at first. In theory they don't carry the entire load but wait until one or two batteries between the good battery and the 4/0 cables go bad. Then they certainly will be carrying the entire load. Ac delco catalog recommends minimum 2/0 for intermediate cables. As for the copper, that's appropriate. The best terminals are tinned copper or brass. Lead is cheap junk.

I'm no expert but understand the series connecting cables carry the same amperage as the main cables. If the total draw on the bank is 10 amps at 32 volts each battery supplies 10 amps at 8 volts. That is why it is recommended the series cables be the same gauge as the main ones.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

When I bought my Rolls batts from Rae Battery, he sent all new connecting cables and bolts with them. I did not know I was getting those, but I was pleasantly surprised to see them when they showed up. The cables were 4/0 tinned marine wire with HD eyes crimped on.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    As for the copper, that's appropriate. The best terminals are tinned copper or brass. Lead is cheap junk.
    Nothing wrong with lead on a lead stud, actually preferred according to some people. I use hybrid connectors:

"Bi-Metal Battery Terminals

The latest innovation in battery terminal technology combines a tin plated, pure copper tubular barrel with a cast lead clamp connector. This design allows for copper to copper contact from wire to the terminal and lead to lead contact from the terminal to the battery. The bi-metal design allows for a highly conductive, corrosion resistant connection that outperforms standard die-cast battery terminals."
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt