Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Batteries

Hybrid View

Batteries

Talk to me about batteries! I've read through the threads about Rolls, Deka, etc, and in one thread it seemed to indicate one bank was for cranking (both engines?), and the other bank were the house batteries. So deep cycle on one side, and cranking on the other... Is that correct? Or does each bank crank its own engine? I've got an 87, 63my with identical 4, 8 volt banks on each side. As always, advice is appreciated, Thanks

Re: Batteries

The concept of the starting bank is it is used to start one engine only. The house bank starts the other engine and runs all the DC electrical items. Plus, you have a helm switch to temporarily combine both battery banks in parallel to start either engine from either bank in case one of the banks is dead.

The house bank may also run your inverter to provide 120V A/C without a generator (although many boats will have a 3rd bank just for the inverter. There were different versions of Hatts that used the house bank to start the genny, the starting bank to start the genny, or a separate single generator starting battery, recharged by running the genny.

In practicality, Prior owners may have added house type items to run off your starting bank, but if your starting bank only starts one engine, you could use starting batteries of the appropriate size and cranking power, but Hatteras put deep cycle batteries in both banks. While you could use starting batteries on the starting bank if there have been no electrical consumers added to the bank, they have to be big enough to crank your engines as required, so check to see if you'd actually save much by doing so.

Doug

IMHO, my setup works perfectly. My boat is a 1985 and has the same OEM banks as you do. The port bank is the house bank. It starts the port engine and handles all of the house loads. The stbd bank starts the stbd engine and the generator if you have a 32v generator. The stbd bank also runs the 12pt monitor.

I installed 8 of the 8v Rolls about 5 years ago. I also installed an Outback 3232 Inverter and run it off of the house bank. We anchor out quite often and the house bank works great as an inverter bank with 12+ hours of run time before recharge.

You could buy cheaper batteries, but the Rolls will most likely last longer. And if you're like me, I don't want to change batteries any sooner than is absolutely necessary. Those babies are heavy!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks, you answered another question area. The 12 pt monitor has been given to false alarms, and my Starbord bank is failing. Makes since with a voltage sensitive system like the monitor. Thanks

I'm quite far from any kind of an expert or even knowledgeable in this regard, but is it possible Hatteras used deep cycle on both banks rather than deep on the house side and starting on the starboard side because maybe the original LaMarche charger was not smart enough to know the difference? Just asking and curious...obviously, I don't even know whether there is a difference in charging a deep cycle bank versus a starting bank to even call LaMarche "not smart enough," but I do know my LaMarche cooked the crap out of my starting bank to cause an explosion twice. Admittedly, DC electricity is my weakest link in the brain. Just ask Ed or Pascal.....
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I'm quite far from any kind of an expert or even knowledgeable in this regard, but is it possible Hatteras used deep cycle on both banks rather than deep on the house side and starting on the starboard side because maybe the original LaMarche charger was not smart enough to know the difference? Just asking and curious...obviously, I don't even know whether there is a difference in charging a deep cycle bank versus a starting bank to even call LaMarche "not smart enough," but I do know my LaMarche cooked the crap out of my starting bank to cause an explosion twice. Admittedly, DC electricity is my weakest link in the brain. Just ask Ed or Pascal.....
    Ang,

Yes. The old chargers frequently did that because the starting bank was always full on it's own and the charger turned on to charge the house bank and sent charging current to both. I just disconnected the charger from my starting bank because it starts the sb engine and then is recharged because that engine is running, then doesn't get used until it starts it next time and gets recharged then too. I did have that manual parallel switch so I could charge the starting bank from the house bank if I ever needed to, or just hook up the charger wire again, but I never needed to do that and it always worked great.

Doug