Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Navigation Programs

In searching the archives, it appears it's been almost a year since a discussion on navigation programs. So...

Our 58YF has a dedicated computer in the pilot house that has previously run a Nobeltec program that is now a couple of years old. Looking to update the Nobeltec, but open to new programs as well.

I've looked at Active Captain, but noticed that the bay where our marina is located in is mislabeled in the program, which doesn't inspire confidence. I've also begun looking at Maptech, Navionics, etc, but am looking for feedback from current users of the programs. Comments on reliability, user friendliness, etc would be appreciated. Thanks...
    1978 Yachtfisher 58' #447

Re: Navigation Programs

I run 3000+ miles each year on Nobeltec and am happy with it. It is an old version which I could not put on the new lap top running Win 7.

Jeff Siegel (Active Captain) sells a program which is cheaper and looks good in demo's. I'd certainly consider that one.

Bobk

Active captain is not a navigation program, it s a digital cruising guide

My favorite nav software these days is polar navy. Charts are stitched seemlesly and it includes Active Captain data (off line) it s also very reliable and uses little computer resources (unlike many commercial programs); I like the fact that you can run it on an older laptop.

Been using it for a couple of years now, well over 10k NM and happy with it.

And it s under $50!
    Last edited by Pascal; 08-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I like InavX on the iPad (you also need a Bad Elf GPS attachment for the iPad). It's become our standard nav program/display. The Garmin 3010Cs at the upper and lower helm are now the backup.
    Last edited by MikeP; 08-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I have coast explorer and like it along with active capt. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

6. Re: Navigation Programs

And what computers does everyone use??
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I have been running Nobeltec since `1994, do not go above version 9.3, all above that sucks big time. I run on a dedicated desktop in the w/h and then backups on two laptops.

I like "open cpn" which is free when in Florida or I can use one of my laptops with Nobeltec.

all has worked ok from Florida to Alaska and points in between...

8. Re: Navigation Programs

polar Navy on a HP notebook
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

I'm sold on Toshiba lap tops. They seem to tolerate abuse better than others. The admiral spilled a bottle ginger beer into my newest one and I just poured it out and it continues to run OK.

Bobk

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will be looking at the various programs suggested. Anybody using Maptech?
    1978 Yachtfisher 58' #447