Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matching Paint

Matching Paint

The paint store did a fine job matching the paint color for the aft deck. However, I hase to extend some paint to the the cabin side and when I applied it to a small area it appears a shade too dark. I wonder if it is worthwhile to have the paint store use their camera to match the different shade of white on the cabin side?

Has anyone dealt with this? I am using Imron.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Matching Paint

My boat has several shades of white in different areas. I used test samples to match the paint myself depending on where I was painting. It's amazing the stuff you notice when you really get to looking and how many different color "whites" there are. In some areas I used Awlgrip, others matched best to Interlux. Good luck.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Regarding the many shades of white, I received a lesson in how many shades there were and how important those differences were from my wife when we rebuilt our home.

In addition to blending the deck paint into the cabin side, I hope to touch up a few dings on the hull.The auto paint store sent a man out with a Dupont color camera and shot the hull side and the cabin side. They were different. I also learned that the Dupont camera does not support Dupont Imron colors and they had to interpolate the number from the camera using another type of paint. It appears that Dupont is phasing out Imron. Perhaps like the Detroit Diesel, a victim of enviromental protection. If I can get enough time between thunderstorms, I hope to get the painting completed.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Last year I had Rob at Lamb's Yacht Center in Jacksonville, FL go over the entire boat to blend all chips and blemishes. I had him use Imron. I swear you can not see any of those blends. The job was just perfect.

When I asked Rob how he got a great match like that he told me that he used the Dupont paint code for my year boat, then did some on site minor tinting to get it perfect. On the other hand, I used a local guy here in central Florida to repaint the radar arch. It's not nearly as close as Rob's match.

I share this only because it might be worth your while to find the best local paint person the big yards use and get them to come to the boat to help you get the right match. I know I never would have been able to get it right myself.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY