Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: clean hull...not

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    How bad was the hull? Was it a green slime or was there grass hanging off of it? A light slime is pretty common after a few weeks of sitting but can easily be cleaned off. Was there hard growth on the hull? Is the boat kept in salt, brackish or fresh water?
    Thanks saltshaker...the slime was light....it sits in salt water...very close to shore..very shallow....warmish water...well protected cove ...at a large marina....in a shed

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Ideally the bottom should be pretty clean but In summer things can grow pretty quckly

A red flag I see here is that the surveyor had done a survey on that boat before... Who recommended the surveyor? The broker? If so, that s not good.

I always want to do a sea trial before survey, just to make sure the boat is worth surveying. With an accepted offer, contact and deposit you re not a tire kicker...

I also prefer to pick the yard myself, for no other reason that prices on a survey short haul can vary a lot. Not a big issue in smaller markets but in places like So Fl it can be a $500 difference...

It s pretty customary for the buyer to pay for a pressure wash and to clean the running gear, it s in yr interest to sea trial a clean boat.

Not to make this a personal attack but how many boats have you bought in the last 10 years?
    How long have you been a licensed professional broker.

We give a list of surveyors to buyers and allow them to call them and choose. If a surveyor is familiar with a vessel that's not a conflict. Sometimes they did a previous insurance or presales survey.

My listings understand the boat is to be maintained by them ready to survey and seatrial. If the buyer pays to haul it and the bottom is a mess the seller will have it cleaned. Just like they maintain the inside and above decks. This is the way I have always do e it and I have been selling new and used boats for longer that I care to remember.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I don't think he said the surveyor was the one who surveyed it before. If he did survey the boat before, I look at that as a benefit providing he does a complete survey again. This would give the surveyor first hand knowledge of any changes to the boats condition, good or bad. I've always paid for the short haul and power wash when buying a boat. Most yards gave me a price to haul and wash. If the bottom wash heavily fouled, I'd expect the seller to pay any additional charges for cleaning. If the zincs were shot, the owner typically paid for new zincs. When I sold my 46C, the buyer paid for haul out and wash. I put new zincs on while it was out. It's nice to do a sea trial first but most of the time you want your surveyor aboard, especially if you're doing a mechanical survey. When I bought my current boat, sea trial, hull out, hull and mechanical surveys were all done at the same time.
    Jack Sardina

4. Re: clean hull...not

Yep.

Buyer is going to need a survey for insurance purposes anyway, and the more-complete pre-purchase one is a superset of the insurance one -- but he's going to be in for the former irrespective, so the latter is only reasonable for him to buy.

IMHO if you're selling a boat it should be ready for operation in all respects at any given point in time, and it's your responsibility to keep it that way. After all, if you do sell it the buyer intends to operate it, right? :-)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    Yep.

Buyer is going to need a survey for insurance purposes anyway, and the more-complete pre-purchase one is a superset of the insurance one -- but he's going to be in for the former irrespective, so the latter is only reasonable for him to buy.

IMHO if you're selling a boat it should be ready for operation in all respects at any given point in time, and it's your responsibility to keep it that way. After all, if you do sell it the buyer intends to operate it, right? :-)
    I agree but keeping slime off the bottom can be near impossible in warm, shallow water. Slime alone shouldn't adversely affect the boats operation. If the boat was free of hard growth, then the bottom was probably maintained. Someone should have washed the hull. I'm surprised the surveyor, broker or yard didn't suggest it
    Jack Sardina

6. Re: clean hull...not

Agreed...

I left Gigabite un-run for about three weeks on vacation one summer while we were up north and wound up with actual hard growth on the wheels in that amount of time (!); discovered when I couldn't turn up as expected, of course.

Never thought it would happen THAT fast, but it does if the water is warm enough.... nice slime on the bottom paint too.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Thinking about the previous comments, most are opinions, well intended but still opinions. Let's look at a couple of things. The boat was painted in 2008, that seems like a long time between bottom jobs, the bottom was slimey, showing possible lack of use, and maintainence. One does not need to have a boat hauled and pressure washed, a diver can easily address algae growth.

Consider where the boat is located, I think it's in the Vancouver, BC area. Warm water there is not exactly what warm water is in Florida.

The poster asked for help here, let's not confuse him with the argueing over personal opinions, stick to the facts, and give him useful advice.

Sometimes the best answer you can have is a simple, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Not to make this a personal attack but how many boats have you bought in the last 10 years?
    How long have you been a licensed professional broker.

We give a list of surveyors to buyers and allow them to call them and choose. If a surveyor is familiar with a vessel that's not a conflict. Sometimes they did a previous insurance or presales survey.
    I am not a broker but have been on the receiving end of many misrepresented listings from your average broker.... I ve also ended up having to fix too many things surveyors "missed".

As a buyer or working for the buyer, when a broker recommends a surveyor (whether it s one or more than one) I will definitely take the recommendation with a shaker full of salt... I know some brokers will warn the buyer that to avoid any appearance of conflict, they are better off asking their insurer for a list of accredited surveyors. Just like many surveyors will be reluctant to recommend a mechanic to quote or repair discrepancies

In this specific case, the OP mentioned that the surveyor summarily dismissed his concerns about blisters. That is something to be concerned about And the OP should at least be aware of the possibility of a conflict of interest

That is useful advice.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I am not a broker but have been on the receiving end of many misrepresented listings from your average broker.... I ve also ended up having to fix too many things surveyors "missed".

As a buyer or working for the buyer, when a broker recommends a surveyor (whether it s one or more than one) I will definitely take the recommendation with a shaker full of salt... I know some brokers will warn the buyer that to avoid any appearance of conflict, they are better off asking their insurer for a list of accredited surveyors. Just like many surveyors will be reluctant to recommend a mechanic to quote or repair discrepancies

In this specific case, the OP mentioned that the surveyor summarily dismissed his concerns about blisters. That is something to be concerned about And the OP should at least be aware of the possibility of a conflict of interest

That is useful advice.
    So if your not a broker how many boats have you recently purchased?

You speak out like you have been involved with so many purchases and no one else involved did anything right.

I bet you would question a broker that gave a but customer a list of mechanics in the area too. Im sure there must be a conflict there too. What would you trust the broker to do?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

That is useful advice.
    blah blah, a few years in the business, and your some kind of authority. All you can talk about is what is done to the boat you run. How about your own boat, let's hear about all this stuff you do on it. Let's see some pictures of you actually doing a project, like some of the other people post.