Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: clean hull...not

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    They probably do that to weed out the real buyers from the people trying to get a freeboatride.

I'm curious how "green" the bottom was. In some areas you'll pick up a slime fairly quickly that will have negligible effect on performance. OTOH, if it looked like a beard.... well.

Without pictures I'm only speculating, but if I was trying to sell a boat I might not want to haul it every two weeks to keep it spotless.
    Yeah ...I thought of that too...it sits in shallow warm water...very sheltered, it wasn't a beard but I thought I was going to be able to rub my hands all over her....that was not possible

[QUOTE=Boatnut;213503]I totally agree about the weeding out the free boat ride. I would expect that before sea trial, a purchase agreement, and sales contract, and deposit money in hand would be completed.[/Q
    I have a covered slip subleased till Feb. The broker knows I am going to buy a boat in the next 6 months. Sunday thanks to all you guys....I am going to talk to the broker and tell him I want to see the bottom of that boat when it is clean. Mechanical is to be done on Tuesday. I will put everthing on hold till I see the bottom and make sure it is blister free....It was painted in 2008 so I am not sure if I will see much....but if he refuses then I will suspect they are hiding something and will pull out of the deal....we are getting awful close to the end so I suspect he will satisfy me.....if not I am out about a grand compared to whatever it would be if it was blistered

When I was dealing with our boat, I signed a purchase agreement first to put the ball in motion. I contacted a surveyor. The surveyor said he would start inspecting and if he saw something very bad ( which would indicate a project boat), he would stop and call it a day, saving me the rest of the inspection fee. He started inspecting before we left the slip, then made the call to move the boat for haulout. We had a few small blisters. Inspector said it was almost normal (dime size). We then cleaned the hull, replaced the zincs as well. We did this because it was looking like a purchase was in order. We then went on a sea trail upon splashing on the ride home. My inspector had a laundry list of stuff to fix, but it was small stuff. The whole deal was based on me not wanting to work on a project boat. I was working 12 hrs/day with my regular job. I was going to use the boat as a crash pad while working. Hope your Hatt works out for you. In the last year I have learned a world of thing from this forum. I couldnt have done it without friends I have made here. Thanks again.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Usually the buyer pays for the haul and the seller pays for necessary cleaning..
    I agree Scott but usually get that straight befor cleaning or eaven pulling

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    I have a covered slip subleased till Feb. The broker knows I am going to buy a boat in the next 6 months. Sunday thanks to all you guys....I am going to talk to the broker and tell him I want to see the bottom of that boat when it is clean. Mechanical is to be done on Tuesday. I will put everthing on hold till I see the bottom and make sure it is blister free....It was painted in 2008 so I am not sure if I will see much....but if he refuses then I will suspect they are hiding something and will pull out of the deal....we are getting awful close to the end so I suspect he will satisfy me.....if not I am out about a grand compared to whatever it would be if it was blistered
    Don't get too hung up on blisters. Yes you do need to get a good look at the bottom but don't get scared off by small blisters on a Hatteras. If there are large, wet, oozing blisters then they need to be addressed. Did you have a surveyor look at the bottom when it was hauled? If you haul it again they're most likely going to want you to pay for the haul out. If you don't get an out of water survey done, most insurance co. and banks won't accept the survey.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Don't get too hung up on blisters. Yes you do need to get a good look at the bottom but don't get scared off by small blisters on a Hatteras. If there are large, wet, oozing blisters then they need to be addressed. Did you have a surveyor look at the bottom when it was hauled? If you haul it again they're most likely going to want you to pay for the haul out. If you don't get an out of water survey done, most insurance co. and banks won't accept the survey.
    I paid to have it hauled and my surveyor was on hand..the bottom was a mess..when I said something about blisters to my surveyor he quickly repliyed this boat had no blisters..I don't know how he knew that.......they did an insurance survey on that same boat a while back, that could be how, but still thought I would never show a boat like this to a buyer

I acted as delivery captain for a boat that was under contract a week ago. The seller paid to get the boat to the marina and back, which included some mechanical repairs before departure, fuel and me, and the haul-out, which included blowing the grass off the bottom. The buyer paid for the survey. But I doubt the yard monkey with a pressure washer added much cost to the haul-out.

Why didn't you just ask them to pressure wash it when it was hauled?

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    I agree Scott but usually get that straight befor cleaning or eaven pulling
    A good broker makes the arraignments.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    I paid to have it hauled and my surveyor was on hand..the bottom was a mess..when I said something about blisters to my surveyor he quickly repliyed this boat had no blisters..I don't know how he knew that.......they did an insurance survey on that same boat a while back, that could be how, but still thought I would never show a boat like this to a buyer
    How bad was the hull? Was it a green slime or was there grass hanging off of it? A light slime is pretty common after a few weeks of sitting but can easily be cleaned off. Was there hard growth on the hull? Is the boat kept in salt, brackish or fresh water?
    Jack Sardina

Ideally the bottom should be pretty clean but In summer things can grow pretty quckly

A red flag I see here is that the surveyor had done a survey on that boat before... Who recommended the surveyor? The broker? If so, that s not good.

I always want to do a sea trial before survey, just to make sure the boat is worth surveying. With an accepted offer, contact and deposit you re not a tire kicker...

I also prefer to pick the yard myself, for no other reason that prices on a survey short haul can vary a lot. Not a big issue in smaller markets but in places like So Fl it can be a $500 difference...

It s pretty customary for the buyer to pay for a pressure wash and to clean the running gear, it s in yr interest to sea trial a clean boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat