Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where is the electrical leak? 1984 61MY

Batteries were fully charged last Sunday when I left the boat. Today the monitors said 31.5 volts with 1.5 amp continuous discharge showing on clamp meter on port battery bank terminal. Unfortunately I did not have any time to investigate further.

Tomorrow I will head down early to the boat to analyse. Apart from turning off all DC circuits and any other items attached directly to the batteries, I am wondering what parasitic devices might be drawing current? Or does a Hatt 61 simply draw this much when turned off? Surely not.

Somebody else must have had this issue. 1.5amps at 32 volts is almost equal to 4 amps at 12 volts so it must be something significant.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Re: Where is the electrical leak? 1984 61MY

Under steady state conditions with no DC powered devices running I see between 0.1-0.3 Amps current draw on my port bank. I have voltage and amperage read outs on my charger and I leave it switched to port bank so I can monitor house load.

The current draw I'm getting is the LED lights that stay running on my toilet flush controls. If I shut off the toilets current draw goes to zero.

At 1.5 amps you have something drawing on the system. It's easiest with two people but I'd turn off each DC circuit and then take a measurement until you find the culprit. If you've checked all the circuits and still get the current draw then I'd shut off the main disconnect for that bank and work from the batteries forward.

I actually use the read out on the charger to tell me if I've left something DC powered running on the boat when I'm packing up and leaving. Usually on my boat 1.5 amps is a light left on somewhere.

Good luck.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Do you have red indicator lights on the DC panels?

If you do and they are the original setups they will be old school incandescent filament type light bulbs. These draw far more current then LED type lamps.

Also if your boat is a 32 volt system you need to know if any of the DC/DC converters run all the time. The ones for the dash instruments only come on with the ignition switch but others may run all the time.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Bilge pumps?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Smoke detectors/CO detectors ?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I pulled all the red indicator light bulbs out and mine draws zero now. Make sure to pull the ones in the engine rooms as well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

As stated, the most likely culprits are DC/DC converters. Also the 12pt systems monitor which is on the stbd bank will draw a small amount.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Is there not an onboard battery charger that is left on when the boat is unattended ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I edited my original text and fixed the typo. Boat is 32 volts. Draw when off is 1.5 amps at 32 volts or about 4 amps at 12 volts.

The boat is kept on a swing mooring.

Could be time to invest in some solar panels to keep the batteries charged up .........Pat