Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: You can now claim you received the Medal of Honor

I agree with the post above regarding how little combat veterans say about it; everyone I've known who was in combat was reluctant to speak of it, and really didn't want to be pressed. I suspect this is similar to my experience when people ask me to tell "war stories" from the ER- I don't mind discussing it with close friends, but not with folks I don't know. And these are sobering experiences, but NOTHING like combat, from all I've ever heard.

Several years back, I recall an incident in which a Navy admiral (Boorda?) was found to have been photographed wearing a decoration he hadn't earned. It wasn't clear, from what I recall, how this happened; whether it was an honest mistake or whether he had deliberately claimed a decoration to which he was not entitled. He blew his brains out. I felt badly for him, and still do, but I thought about it when I read the Supreme Court verdict, and wondered whether his reaction to disgrace wasn't in some way understandable.

As to the idea that fraudulent use of a decoration or falsifying a military record somehow devalues the record of those who actually served with those distinctions, I don't think it does. Lincoln said something about this in the Gettysburg Address: "The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract." Decorations for military service and combat service are a commemoration or marking of acts of valor; the acts themselves stand on their own. I would also suggest that many acts of valor are not commemorated, for any number of reasons, and that those acts are no less heroic for not being recognized after the fact. And inversely, those individuals who claim recognition to which they are not entitled- whether it is in the military or any other walk of life- know their worthlessness as people, their lack of honesty, and shallow and inflated self-regard.

Hi All,

JM,

Thanking them, it's an amazing thing.

I'm surprised I failed to mention it in my earlier post.

After my dad died almost three years ago, (I'm ashamed I haven't done it all my life) I felt compelled to thank those who serve or who have served, and I came to realize just how much that small gesture, a minute of my time, a few kind words, an expression of thanks, means to these folks.

Whether they’re WWII vets like my dad or anyone who serves or has served. When you walk up and thank them for their service and shake their hand you can immediately see a look of surprise on their face and then sincere appreciation, sometimes modesty.

It's a dam shame how serving your country today is so often looked at negatively.

Krush is right relative to freedom of speech, and I'm exercising mine. These pretenders should be subject to public ridicule at a minimum.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Dr. Jim, et al, very nicely said, and well thought out.

Seems like there are usurpers in every walk of life. While we have to contend with them on many levels, few are more offensive than those who ride on the backs of the ones that have sacrificed so much.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I have run into the braggers about their service experience, most that do are as phoney as all get out it seems. When I meet a perferctly healthy person like these people I try to politely remind them, they are one of the lucky ones, they came home in one peace. Very few vets with severe disabilities or medals of distinction will talk about it, let alone brag about it.

I do not care if a person has served, or is currently serving, is a combat veteran or served and did not do combat duty, they all have my utmost respect, and a big from the heart thank you.

God Bless them all.

" I would also suggest that many acts of valor are not commemorated, for any number of reasons, and that those acts are no less heroic for not being recognized after the fact. "

Absolutely right. To receive a valor award at, say the rifle platoon level, someone who witnessed it has to either report the act or write it up personally. It could stop or go forward at company level, depending on what the view of it is there. Then it has to go forward for approval. The higher the award, the higher up the chain it may have to go. Purple Hearts are awarded for wounds received in action and they are essentially automatic.

You get the same Purple Heart whether a small piece of shrapnel punches a little hole in your arm that gets a bandage at an aid station and you head back to "work", a machine gun puts several bullets in your body, or you lose arms/legs due to bomb.

Valor awards actually require some work on several peoples' part and the first step is simply whether the observer(s) felt it was more than what is expected as the normal duties of combat soldier. Like anything, what a particular observers sees/feels might be different than another.
    Last edited by MikeP; 07-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

For every award pinned, there are plenty that aren't pin (though deserved). I'd even argue that those that most deserve an award probably don't get it due to bureaucracy, etc. I'm no historian, but it seems that often medals and rewards in the military are used for the same thing as in the working world and even little league...to boost moral and hopefully recognize those that have done something special (and not just said the right things).

In my experience, great people don't do great things for medals or awards. Those that act soley for awards, usually aren't great people. My other half calls many of the pins "good job medals" because they are handed out left and right.

My point is that like everything, the good often don't get the credit...and the undeserving do. But nonetheless, they all made some sort of sacrifice. Award chasers are the type of person that becomes a politician; and we know how great they are loved LOL
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

One thing that gets overlooked sometimes is the "job vs medal." For example, an infantry battalion commander is not normally exposed to the same level of daily combat as an infantry rifle platoon leader. That's as it should be; their jobs are different. So, frequently - and I'm not saying this is right or wrong (though I used to say it was ABSOLUTELY wrong when I was in my 20's) - a Bn commander gets, let's say, a bronze star with V for something that for a rifle platoon leader, is just part of the job and no one would think twice about it.

FWIW Bronze stars can be a bit confusing; there are two of them - Bronze Star for Meritorious Service and Bronze Star for Valor. They are the same medal/ribbon but if you are awarded one for valor, the medal/ribbon is worn with a "V device" on it. BS/V, like all valor awards, are for a one-time combat action of some sort. BS/M is for doing a good job, usually over some period of time. You could get a BS/M for doing a good job as a platoon leader, let's say, for several months...or for doing a good job organizing the base camp.

The vast majority of medals issued are not valor awards - there are only 4 of those. Most medals/ribbons that you see are for doing some sort of good work administratively, or campaign/service medals ("I been there" medals), or qualification badges - expert rifle, Combat Infantry Badge, jump wings. etc.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Jim,

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract." Knowing the address, a school assignment, I surprised that didn't come to mind. Well stated on your part.

The funny thing is claiming greatness, without merrit, is just lowering the bar.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I agree with the post above regarding how little combat veterans say about it; everyone I've known who was in combat was reluctant to speak of it, and really didn't want to be pressed. I suspect this is similar to my experience when people ask me to tell "war stories" from the ER- I don't mind discussing it with close friends, but not with folks I don't know. And these are sobering experiences, but NOTHING like combat, from all I've ever heard.

Several years back, I recall an incident in which a Navy admiral (Boorda?) was found to have been photographed wearing a decoration he hadn't earned. It wasn't clear, from what I recall, how this happened; whether it was an honest mistake or whether he had deliberately claimed a decoration to which he was not entitled. He blew his brains out. I felt badly for him, and still do, but I thought about it when I read the Supreme Court verdict, and wondered whether his reaction to disgrace wasn't in some way understandable.

As to the idea that fraudulent use of a decoration or falsifying a military record somehow devalues the record of those who actually served with those distinctions, I don't think it does. Lincoln said something about this in the Gettysburg Address: "The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract." Decorations for military service and combat service are a commemoration or marking of acts of valor; the acts themselves stand on their own. I would also suggest that many acts of valor are not commemorated, for any number of reasons, and that those acts are no less heroic for not being recognized after the fact. And inversely, those individuals who claim recognition to which they are not entitled- whether it is in the military or any other walk of life- know their worthlessness as people, their lack of honesty, and shallow and inflated self-regard.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY