Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Experience with 8V-92 Detroit diesels

Ditto, but I have 650hp's. I run the boat exactly like Bill.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Smile Re: Experience with 8V-92 Detroit diesels

Had 8V/92's in my 1990 63' Viking MY. Had 3 rebuilds (2 on one engine, 1 on the other) within the 5-year extended warranty . 1 rebuild (at 300 hours) was caused by the factory seating an oil pump bolt in silicone!! Total hours when I sold in 1997 about 3000. Best service was from Galati Marine on Anna Maria Island, he had more influence with Detroit than anybody else I knew, even out of warranty repairs.

I always felt that the 12/92 option would have been better for that weight.

Usually running 2100 rpm up and down the Mississippi and other rivers from Minneapolis to Florida I would experience about 55 gph. Carried almost 1500 gallons, so could run about 3 days between fills. Viking also offered the MANs but they had a spotty reliability and service record in those days.

Charlie Berry

One thing I noticed when we were shopping is that once the MYs got over 58 feet, Hatteras put in 12v71's, also rated at 650. For instance, the 61CPMY which is my boat with a cockpit added, had 650hp 12-71's . Ditto the 61MY. Torque is king (?)
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

4. Re: Experience with 8V-92 Detroit diesels

The 12-71s have over 100cid of displacement on the 8v92s and for equivalent power output are less-stressed. They're also materially more thirsty.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Hi Bill

I am sorry for being late in thanking you and the rest of our colleagues for your wise advice. The Admiral is finally given my the thumbs up to begin the process now that I have committed to pull the trigger on the land for her new beach house. The boat is going to cost me a bundle (waterfront property is sure expensive) but it sure is cheaper than a divorce.

Spin