Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I hate being angry with myself - goodbye anchor

Yesterday I took my Fortress anchor apart to try to straighten the stock that was bent from striking a dock support while docking in powerful current. I carefully put the parts on my dock steps out of the way. Then I got distracted and decided to wash the boat. While pulling on the hose, you guessed it, I heard a splash....

Oh well, back to the Bruce.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: I hate being angry with myself - goodbye anchor

Sorry you lost the Fortress. But any boater who says they haven't done something like that (probably more than once) is lying or has memory issues that need to be addressed!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I feel your pain. A couple of years ago, I removed a main engine sea strainer to repair a leak. the Big strainer has a bronze cap which is held in place with a long bolt going down the middle of the cap. I took the strainer to the dock to take apart the strainer. in doing so I drop the bronze cap in between the dock planks and into the dark muddy abyss. after a few colorfull words, I set out to find a replacement. Of course, nobody carries that replacement part. Finally after two days of looking, i resort to having one machined. I pick it up, looks nice, and head back to the boat. since the other parts were still on the dock I figured I'd just rebuild the strainer right there. What happend next cannot be made up, I was back at the machine shop the next day for another one...
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Installing Marquipt davit on bow. Had stand pipe in hand and was fitting pipe to hole in deck. As I got off the bow I said to the person assisting that I hope I do not drop it. Laid it down on the dock, safely. Walking away and I heard it start to roll. Tried to reach it before it went in, no luck. Called the diver to recover that afternoon.

RR

Last month I replaced the 250 of 3/8 chain on the boat I run. So after loading the new chain in the locker I removed the end shackle from the old one, get distracted by a phone call, and attach the new chain to the 6' line tied to the bottoms of the locker.

Then I decide to run the chain thru to make sure there are no kinks.

Yes you guessed it... End of the chain runs out of the hawsepipe thru the windlass and in the drink! I had reattached the line to the old chain! Glad i did a test in the slip!

It was only 12' deep but I saw a diver across the fairway so I asked him if I could just swim across and pick the end for me. He said "no problem that will be $150". When I asked if he was joking he brings it down to $100. I thanked him, got my snorkeling gear and fetched my own chain... $100 for 2 minutes? I don't think so!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Usually right when I hear the "plunk" of the splash and look over my shoulder to see what it is, my mind is going "sunuva....you dumbass". On the old Potomac we can't see through the water and the mud swallows everything!

I was spoiled on the tropical island where the water is clear and I could see where whatever I dropped went.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Sometimes it seems to defy the laws of physics.

This wasn't particularly bad -money/time wise but I'm still amazed when I recall it: a couple of years ago i was working on something on the back deck of our previous boat. I had a Snap-On screwdriver in my hand and walked to the center of the back deck area - plenty of deck in all directions. I dropped the screwdriver. It landed directly on the tip of the handle in the middle of the deck and somehow bounced up and over the bargeboard 4 feet away into the water as if it had some sort of mini JATO bottle attached. I think I just stood there for at least a minute thinking "How the #$%@ is that possible?" I was wondering if I had discovered some sort of perpetual motion thing...

But watching an entire open-array radar antenna that I was carefully unbolting "pop" itself off the mast mount, bounce off the inflatable dink, cannonball into the water, and float away into the marina fairway was probably my most expensive screwup. But I have to admit that I laughed for 5 minutes before I started the recovery operation. I was surprised that the antenna part would keep the machinery part afloat. I was planning to replace the radar at some point but not necessarily then.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

On my previous 36 ft boat, we had it in a shed, I also stored our 50 CC Honda scooter there (new), had the anchor on the dock for repair etc and you guessed it, up came the anchor, down went the scooter, quick retrieval and off to the shop, all fixed up, back in the shed, one week later a kid stole it and wrecked it.

9. Re: I hate being angry with myself - goodbye anchor

Several years ago had my cellphone clipped to my belt (dumbass) and while docked to pick up ice and bait for a nice fishing trip came down the dock's ladder.

The phone caught on the ladder and went exactly through the roughly 3" gap between the gunwale of the boat and the dock. 1" either way and it was either on the dock or in the boat.

As it was, it was a splash.

I swear there was a homing device in that damn phone that sought water.....

That's not the only time.... but it's the most-memorable.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

This is a great "man-up to splash events" thread. While doing the Great Loop, we were anchored in the Mississippi in a side channel cutoff. My anchor rode got wrapped around the windlass with the last wrap jammed between 2 other wraps so tight it wouldn't move and was pulled completely tight against the 60 lb CQR anchor on the roller. After trying in vain to loosen it, I figured I'd just take the shackle off, pull the rope out backwards and put the shackle back on. You guessed it... when I took the shackle off the anchor roller did it's job and deposited the anchor on the bottom of the Mississippi. New 60 lb. CQR cost me $968.

Doug