Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vintage Hatteras gauge senders

I have managed to find original light green face vintage Hatteras gauges to replace the ones that the PO replaced with modern gauges. We installed them today and they seem to work but the existing senders are incorrect. The oil pressure pegs high as soon as the key is turned on and the temp gauges read way high.

I called Steve at SAM'S and he says that there is no more stock on these senders as they are 2 or 3 generations back in the gauge world. He is sending me some temp senders that he says may work. Steve also mentioned that back in 1966 there were different senders for single and dual helm station boats. My 41 TC has only one steering station/helm.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with what if any modern sender may match up to these 1966 Hatteras gauges. These are the gauges with the light green dial face, and the Hatteras logo. Steve thinks that they may have been made for Hatteras by AC Delco.

I'm thinking that a possible, expensive solution could be to send these gauges somewhere to be rebuilt to modern specs, or perhaps matched up to proper senders.

Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Re: Vintage Hatteras gauge senders

I would start by calling Don Wendlich at Isspro, Inc, in Portland, OR. All the contact information is on their web site at www.isspro.com. More than likely, they can make you the senders you need based on which engines they go in and the resistance curve of the gauges in question. With accurate information, they will make you something that works and the price will be reasonable. NOS senders, if you can even find them, will be elderly parts even if they are in the original boxes- better to have something made new for this application.

I believe the old green face gauges were made by Stewart Warner. Yes there were single and dual station senders. Current Teleflex senders should work.

I sent an email to Isspro and they referred me to a guy who does vintage gauges, mainly on hot rods. It looks like he may be able to make this work. I think what I may end up doing is replacing the guts of the old gauges so they work on modern senders.

In the meantime I had a PM from a member here who suggested that the old Hatt gauges were likely 0-90 ohm. Can anyone here confirm that?

I did just order a water tank sender from Centoid. They send me instructions for testing my existing old water tank gauge which was marked "AC Spark Plug" as the manufacturer. Dr. Rosenthal assisted in the test (he recorded my results) and that gauge is indeed 0-90 ohm.
    Eric

UPDATE: I have managed to figure out that these old oil pressure gauges use a 0-90 ohm sender. I was able to source them from Instrument Sales and Service in Portland, Oregon www.partdeal.com They were manufactured by Maxima Technologies in El Paso. We installed them and they seem to work properly.

SAM's sent me some temp senders that may work. They are installed but I haven't yet run the boat up to temp to see if they're right. Stay tuned.
    Eric