Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need Imron Paint Match Help

I am very familiar with Imron 67766U/X and have never had trouble matching my 1990 48C. On a recent non-skid project, I went to my usual Imron dealer and was told that Dupont is changing all the lines and have discontinued my usual expensive Imron paint (white and green label). They suggested the cheaper Imron Industrial and even called Dupont for the spec sheet and formula. They also said that I do not have to add my usual flattner additive for non-skid, and they actually had a formula for flat Hatteras White. (mentioned adding a flat clear in the formula). Well, it does not match, too white and not enough eggshell color. Has anyone used the Imron Industrial? Could the differnece been from adding the flat clear and I need to go back to flattner additive? Do you think they just made a bad mix? Would a different Imron line (Imron Elite at $407. a gal.)

Re: Need Imron Paint Match Help

A lot of Imron dealers/distributors have a special "camera" that they can send someone out to shoot a "picture" of your hull, and then mix the paint to match. FinishMaster in Ft. Lauderdale did this for me when trying to match the non-OEM black stripe on my boat. Might check some body shops as well for this service.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

There's two Hatteras whites. Are you sure they looked up the right one? The post 1991 (?) is whiter. The earlier one is more off-white.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I can still get the regular Imron in either the 5.0 or the 3.5 VOC formulas. What state are you in?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    There's two Hatteras whites. Are you sure they looked up the right one? The post 1991 (?) is whiter. The earlier one is more off-white.
    I actually gave them the code 67766u. I am assuming when Hatteras changed the color they changed the code, correct? Do you know the post 1991 code so maybe we can compare and see if Dupont made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I can still get the regular Imron in either the 5.0 or the 3.5 VOC formulas. What state are you in?
    Sky,
    Right across the lake from you in Milwaukee. I use Finishmasters here which is a big National Dupont dealer. They said they did not carry the old style. Sounds like you have a place with the older paint which is the route I will go if Dupont can't figure it out. Curious what the Hatteras refit center or Jarrett Bay knows since it seems Dupont is changing all their formulas. Should I PM you if I go that route? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by pl5898 View Post
    I actually gave them the code 67766u. I am assuming when Hatteras changed the color they changed the code, correct? Do you know the post 1991 code so maybe we can compare and see if Dupont made a mistake.
    Sorry, I don't. I just considered your vendor may not have been aware of the two colors and accidentally gave you the wrong one.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Here is where I buy my paint.

http://www.johnsonmichigan.com/contactus.html
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI