Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hand rail covers?

I'm ready to have some hand rail covers made. What is the best material to use for this?
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Re: Hand rail covers?

We have had them from day one. Ours are vinyl coated Sumbrella one piece from pulpit to gate and a separate piece for the gate railing. The cover wraps the railing and uses Velcro to hold it in place underneath.Velcro is also used to hold the gate piece for the wrap and also to attach to the long piece. Color matches Hatteras 1986 hull and should still be available since we recently converted our windless to chain drive and had to modify the pocket for it. We also have a cover for the bowsprit. This cover wraps over the the front and attaches with four snaps at the rear.
    Werner Schoenknecht MIRAGE

Mine are Sunbrella with velco on the bottom. They were on the boat when I bought her and I've been using them for the last eight years. They still look good, so I'll probably redo with same when the time comes.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mine are Sunbrella with snaps on the bottom. They came with the boat. They're cut just like Werner's. I also have the pulpit cover with snaps. They're black to match my accent stripes.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Never thought of a pulpit cover anyone have a picture? My railings are sunbrealla made them myself easy job used snaps. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Allen View Post
    Never thought of a pulpit cover anyone have a picture?
    It has a pocket in the front that cups over the front of the pulpit. Even has a hole for the flagpole.

Outside 16 (500x375).jpg
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Humm, I'm not a bright bulb all the cleaning the teak and watching it go to crap over the summer. Thanks it's now offically on my to do list. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Our 1986 43 MY has two additional features on the bow cover. The windlass has a added piece,like a top hat, so the cover lies flat on the bowsprit and since we have a cleat and they simply just went around it. My pictures do not show the cover closeup. If a picture is still desired we can do that but not till we return back to Michigan in mid June.
    Werner Schoenknecht MIRAGE

Can anyone post a picture of their rail covers? I am in the process of making them, and trying to figure out how to make the pattern to go around the stanchions.

Thanks,
    Joe Parker
    Timeless
    1979 58' MY

I've owned & operated a canvas shop for 12 yrs. now. I would use Sunbrella. I use it 95% of the time. It's the workhorse of the marine canvas industry. I use Stamoid mostly on Tiara's ,Pusuit 's & flybridge window panels. Harbortime is a good fabric for some applications. Don't pay a ridiculous price online. Like $25 or $35 a yrd. I would suggest have a few repairs done on something you have at a local shop. Get a little working relationship going with them. Then ask them to order ya 3 ,4 yrds or whatever you need. They should be cool and charge ya $18 or $20 a yrd. Then when you need a few snaps or something do the same thing. Don't pay for 3 snaps in a cute little package at WM for godsakes! Use a dark color of Sunbrella also. Man the natural (white ), oyster, silver, and the lighter colors look rough after only a couple seasons.
    Zak K
    1973 C
    "Black Hat Affair "