Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: OK. Back to my ANCHOR quandary . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You might also look at the latest issue of Practical Sailor for some interesting anchor rode tests.

I have had good luck with Fortresses and carry several. I also have a SPADE which I am hoping to test this summer. Consistently in the Chesapeake, Fortresses do well- one of them saved my previous boat from a near-certain grounding. Another advantage of aluminum anchors is that they stay somewhat cleaner- they don't corrode as much.
    I don't know if the tests done by "Practical Sailor", or if the words Practical Sailor even makes sense, would apply to a boat with as much windage as a motor yacht.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Well, sailors anchor out a lot, so PS tests a lot of anchoring gear. It's worthwhile reading, the fundamental principles still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Well, sailors anchor out a lot, so PS tests a lot of anchoring gear. It's worthwhile reading, the fundamental principles still apply.
    Jim, I think the windage we have may create different results, the slippery low hull of a sailboat in any size is a great deal less than that of a MY or a SF. And even greater when the boat is riding back and forth in a wind and showing the more of a broad side exposure to the wind,

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I had the same issue on my 65MY. Returned the bent 60 lb. anchor to Danforth by UPS (Tie-Down is the parent company) and they shipped me a new one under warranty. Swapped the 60 lb. plus the price difference for a 90 lb. Danforth that works great. The square crown pieces wedge into the Hatteras anchor platform and it doesn't move at all underway.

It's worth taking a look at. It had to do with anchor rode loading etc- I agree the sail area of MYs far exceeds that of sailboats, but this test had new information to me. I like reading about anchoring and anchor technology.