Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OK. Back to my ANCHOR quandary . . . .

I just bought an '01 , 75' MY. Came with 300' of 3/8" chain. And a bent ( no surprise there) 60 lb Danforth . ( Yes. Really.)

My question:

I want to put the best anchor for Bahamas and South Florida I can. I have read the prior threads and I appreciated all the input. Am impressed with Fortress performance in tests I have read.

But I just wonder how you determine the largest heaviest anchor ( FX125?) that will fit on the existing bow pulpit.

Trial and error ? Or is there a measurement method?

Re: OK. Back to my ANCHOR quandary . . . .

The limiting factor on our 53MY is the distance between the bow roller and the front of the anchor chute. In our case, an FX55 will not fully seat at the top of the chute because the anchor shank, where it joins the anchor, is wider than that opening. So measure the distance from your bow roller to the front of the chute and compare that dimension with the width (actually the front to rear distance) of the Fortress shank where it connects to the flukes.

We use the FX55 but the slightly wedge shape of the shank stopping the anchor short of seating means the anchor can sort of wobble back and forth as the shank is wedged between roller/front of chute. This is not a big deal - we use a line to secure the anchor from doing that but that will be the issue. The end of the shank (where the chain is attached) will end up well above the windlass gypsy and since the anchor itself won't be seated against the chute, the shank cannot rotate so that the chain can hold the anchor without wobbling. It doesn't really affect anything but it will require a line to secure the anchor firmly as opposed to just having the windlass/chain do it.

Hope this isn't too confusing a description...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Those of us with larger SuperMax anchors have the same issue Mike described. I howered my roller by bolting an extension plate to the chute. Works fine. I posted a picture of how I did it somewhere on the forum.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    The limiting factor on our 53MY is the distance between the bow roller and the front of the anchor chute. In our case, an FX55 will not fully seat at the top of the chute because the anchor shank, where it joins the anchor, is wider than that opening. So measure the distance from your bow roller to the front of the chute and compare that dimension with the width (actually the front to rear distance) of the Fortress shank where it connects to the flukes.

We use the FX55 but the slightly wedge shape of the shank stopping the anchor short of seating means the anchor can sort of wobble back and forth as the shank is wedged between roller/front of chute. This is not a big deal - we use a line to secure the anchor from doing that but that will be the issue. The end of the shank (where the chain is attached) will end up well above the windlass gypsy and since the anchor itself won't be seated against the chute, the shank cannot rotate so that the chain can hold the anchor without wobbling. It doesn't really affect anything but it will require a line to secure the anchor firmly as opposed to just having the windlass/chain do it.

Hope this isn't too confusing a description...

Not at all. Thanks. I am just not convinced that carrying a heavier Danforth will be "better" than a Fortress. I had a Delta on last boat.

What do you think of this:

http://billspringer.blogspot.com/201...chors-are.html

Quote Originally Posted by Native4 View Post
    Not at all. Thanks. I am just not convinced that carrying a heavier Danforth will be "better" than a Fortress. I had a Delta on last boat.

What do you think of this:

http://billspringer.blogspot.com/201...chors-are.html
    Just a thought but the fortress is a lighter weight version of a danforth in most every way. If it's attached to a line it gives the ability for someone with a bad back to lift and handle it. If its attached to chain that becomes impossible. Since you are using a windless the weight is not the issue so get the best fit and dont worry about spending all the extra money for a light weight anchor.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Real world conditions can't be duplicated in tests...

A 60lbs on a 75 footer? Previous owner must have been a marina jumper and rarely anchor!

Personally i m a Bruce / Claw fan... We have a 176lbs on the 70 Johnson I run (19' beam and high windage enclosed FB) and it has never failed me. We anchor out a lot, I recently came back from a month in the exumas where we spent most of the time on the hook and it always set on the first time and always reset in current (current reset is a good reason to stay away from Danfirth/FX)

It also works great in soft mud where a delta will drag. On the trips north to New England, I usually only dock 3 or 4 nights and anchor out the other 20 or so, again it s always set, held and reset in tidal anchorages

Here in So Fl, there is a spot with soft mud by Key Biscayne where a delta just will not hold. The Bruce holds great...
    The shape works well on most pulpit, it fits well as a replacement to a cute little 66 SS Danfirth that was on the boat before

And don't follow the minimum size in selection charts. Early on i used a 110lbs Bruce which held fine up to around 40kts, the 176lbs has held up 70kts (south Carolina mud, and Edgartown sand)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I really have no idea why tsting anchors is so difficult but I've seen a few and disagree with their results. And they usually flunk the claw/Bruce and the plow which make up by far the most used anchors in the cruising fleet.
    Perhaps it is the size factor. Most cruisers find out they sleep much better with bigger gear. One trawler list guy used to say get the biggest anchor you can get on and off your boat. Sounds about right. May be the bigger heavier anchors dig in better in most bottoms.
    My 42 LRC has a 75 Lb Super Max with 3/8 chain. My 58 LRC has a 110 lb CQR with 1/2 inch chain. I am going to get a North Star 176 lb claw for Big Skooch as soon as I can. Unless I can find a 176 authentic Bruce.
    BTW we just got up to the Sassafras from south Florida. 17 days cause we could not get offshore. 5 days at marinas Palm Coast, (2) Thunderbolt, Beafort SC, Coinjock and 12 nights anchored.
    David
    Last edited by dastahl; 05-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Real world conditions can't be duplicated in tests...

A 60lbs on a 75 footer? Previous owner must have been a marina jumper and rarely anchor!

Personally i m a Bruce / Claw fan... We have a 176lbs on the 70 Johnson I run (19' beam and high windage enclosed FB) and it has never failed me. We anchor out a lot, I recently came back from a month in the exumas where we spent most of the time on the hook and it always set on the first time and always reset in current (current reset is a good reason to stay away from Danfirth/FX)

It also works great in soft mud where a delta will drag. On the trips north to New England, I usually only dock 3 or 4 nights and anchor out the other 20 or so, again it s always set, held and reset in tidal anchorages

Here in So Fl, there is a spot with soft mud by Key Biscayne where a delta just will not hold. The Bruce holds great...
    The shape works well on most pulpit, it fits well as a replacement to a cute little 66 SS Danfirth that was on the boat before

And don't follow the minimum size in selection charts. Early on i used a 110lbs Bruce which held fine up to around 40kts, the 176lbs has held up 70kts (south Carolina mud, and Edgartown sand)
    Where at Key Biscayne? My Delta has held there fine many times in reversing currents off Cape Florida/ No Name harbor and Nixon Cove off the yacht club. Have not anchored in No Name proper. It has also done fine through the Chesapeake, though I prefer a Danforth type or Supermax for there, though I never get around to switching over when there.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I'm a claw fan also, 70# claw on a 58 with good results. As for the light weight anchor, nobody buys a Hat to have a light weight boat so why have a lightweight anchor to do a heavy weight job?

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

On our 53MY I run 300plus ft of 3/8 chain on a Rocna 88lb anchor which has never failed to hold in just about every kind of condition. Previously I've had Deltas and Bruce both of which failed in some circumstances.

I think the Rocna and Manson anchors tested best in a Sail Mag review using mud sand and grass as three different type bottoms some years back. There was a German designed anchor , the name escapes me now, that also tested well all three of these anchors were of similar design with roll bars.

As Pascal mentioned the problem with fortress/Danforth is changing current & tides causing the boat to swing on the anchor several times per day. which may cause the anchor to reset and that is not a plus for either of these two anchors.