Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DD 6v92 problem

Re: DD 6v92 problem

Look on the exhaust side of the turbo. Carbon can build up and when loaded make the turbine drag. Slower turbo, less air, same amount of fuel, black smoke, no rpm.
    Bob

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It was a sudden failure. One minute running fine and the next minute billowing black sooty smoke and immediate engine degradation. Dropped from 2100rpm to 1400 almost instantaneously. Correct as usual Karl - no airflaps on these engines. I kind of doubt an exhaust blockage because it came on so suddenly.

I did immediately suspect turbo, but I wondered if a blower could fail suddenly and cause the same symptoms. I don't know how to analyze a blower failure.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I'll try to find one tomorrow when I'm there. Would the engine s/n be of help? BTW, are the two (inboard and outboard) turbos identical or is there a "left" and a "right" turbo?
    I had a pair of them witches in a 45c 535 hp black smoke is as all have said generally air at least smoke of that magnatude. If it was hase at 2000 then look for injector problem or the beginning of turbo going out. Sometime on hase smoke just open the inspection hole in the bulk head it will clear up some.
    As for the turbo good or bad issue. Take the insulation off remove the air cleaner put your hand in the turbo and not just spend the blades but rock side to side if it is loose at all it is done. Also while you are bying get your self a spairs. Three years ago they were on national backorder. Be ware of off brands they are sometime not up to speck and will smoke at best. I spent tuns of dollars on turbos till i got smart and bought new ones not rebuilt. Get them fron a DD guy if possible make sure they are oem. I got angry put four new ones in and slane vents and still had a little has had to look closs for it though and only on a calm day till you got back to the dock and looked at the stern. Them engines are going to smoke for several reasons air,under a load, not proped correctely, bad weather up and down waves putting the boat in a strain.
    I would run off shore they called me smokey I was never able to get the haze competely gone. Good luck
    In short i would say you gotta turbo issue... DO NOT RUN THE BOAT UNDER THE EXTREME SMOKE CONDITIONS SOOT IT ABSOLUTELY THE WORST THING A ENGINE CAN SUCK IN.... TIM
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 05-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.

4. Re: DD 6v92 problem

Fuel Shut down solenoid partially closed? Thx

Im betting on the turbo or airfilter clogged.

did you change fuel filters?
    I always check the simple stuff first, filters (fuel and air)

a stuck injector will aslo cause lots of smoke and loss of power

Is there any chance you fowled one of the wheels with some rope or something?

I once picked up some crab pot warp and had very sudden loss of power and some slight vibration.
    it wasnt until a went under the boat and saw a birds nest of rope around one of the wheels.

Just got back from the boat. It's a turbo alright. Inboard turbo on stbd engine is toast. Fins were all chewed up and there was considerable play in the shaft. I spoke with Derek (Scrod) just now and have a shiny brand new one on the way for early next week.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

One week down one new turbo not to bad could have been worse
    It could have happened 80 miles out!
    Good choice going to Scrod.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

8. Re: DD 6v92 problem

That'll do it.

Ok, now on the R&R, here's how you avoid making more work for yourself.

Get a can of PB Blaster. And bring PATIENCE to the job.

Remove the monmon clamp (exhaust side to crossover pipe) and DISCARD. Do NOT re-use; if you do it may break while under load and spew 1,000F exhaust into your engine room -- this is a really good way to have an engine room fire. Remove air side (hoses and air filter.) Remove oil return pipe, make sure the return pipe it's unobstructed, remove oil feed hose. Make sure no dirt or debris goes into the oil feed hose.

The exhaust flange from the hotpipe is bolted onto studs. The bolts are self-locking castellated nuts and love to seize on the studs. Spray liberally with PB Blaster and attempt to break them free. Use care removing these nuts. Specifically, DO NOT USE A BREAKER BAR -- you will break the stud! Take your time and soak with more PB as required -- if it takes a couple days of spraying it every couple of hours and rapping the side of the nut and flange lightly with a hammer to break adhering rust, do it. They'll come off but it takes patience. Discard the old castellated nuts and replace; stud replacement is usually not required but if questionable you may want to. They're lots of fun getting out of the hotpipe if one or more are damaged, by the way -- same deal as the nuts on removal.

If you break one or more of the studs you're left with a tough choice. It won't come out generally if that happens (e.g. drilling the center and attempting to use an easy-out is asking to break THAT, which compounds your problems), which means you'll have to try to drill it out and then use nuts and bolts afterward. And the hotpipe is cast iron, by the way, which means the odds are good the flange will break when you try this. That's to be avoided (you get to buy a new hotpipe if it happens and they can be tough to find) But IF you get yourself in that position and manage to drill out the broken stud Cat makes a set of nuts and bolts for this purpose that are intended for turbo mounting, heat-rated and a better choice for the future. Hope you don't have to go there.

When you get it apart check the flange on the output side to make sure it's true (on the exhaust collector) and that the flange on the hotpipe is undamaged. Check for any foreign objects, especially since you had the previous turbo grenade, so you don't wind up with a piece in the new one and blow it up immediately.

VERY IMPORTANT: When hooking up the oil lines fill the inlet side of the turbo with clean oil from a new, unopened container before attaching the line so you're not starting the engine without lubrication in the bearing, and hold the STOP button on the engine when cranking the first time for 30 seconds or so to make sure the oil line is filled before you allow the engine to start. And of course don't run the engine with the turbo blankets off under load as the exhaust side gets extremely hot.

That should do it. If you take care to never shut down the engine without allowing the turbos to cool off first (idle until EGTs are nice and cool; if you don't have EGT gauges then no less than 5 minutes after coming off load) you'll avoid what usually blows these little turbos up -- coking in the center bearing from hot shutdowns.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Good choice going to Scrod.
    I thought so.

We appreciate the business. Thank you Bob.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

If I had patience I'd have been a farmer.

Seriously, thank you Karl (and everybody) for the sound advice. It's a good feeling to know I can count on you guys when the kimshee hits the fan.

I gave all the fasteners a good soaking with PB this afternoon when I was down checking it out. I didn't have my full toolset with me (forgot it at home) so I didn't succumb to the temptation to start the removal process beyond that. Since I have 4 or 5 days to wait until the new one comes in, I'll hit it a couple more times with PB and AeroKroil before I really have at it with the wrenches. Worst case, I have a turbo torch with MAPP gas that usually will get the job done.

The new unit does not require that I send in the core, so I may have the old one rebuilt as a spare to keep on hand.