Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DD 6v92 problem

Hybrid View

DD 6v92 problem

I’m running a pair of DD 6v92TA Covington conversion engines making 435hp each. Engine year is 1979. Last fall I had my second injector problem of the season on the stbd engine, so I put in a full set of injectors that I got from Scrod. I ran her a few times in the late fall, and again this spring with good results.

This past Sun I headed out to go fishing and after 5 minutes of running (2050rpm) that engine bogged down and billowed out black smoke. After that it would only run up to about 1300rpm without smoking. I checked the turbos and they seem to be spinning smoothly. Does this sound like an injector problem to you guys or do you think I have something more serious? BTW, engine did not overheat, and oil pressure is fine.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: DD 6v92 problem

Sounds like lack of air flow (turbo), but I'm no expert.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: DD 6v92 problem

That sounds like an airflow problem -- are you sure you didn't lose an airhose somewhere between the turbo and airhorn?
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I looked for hoses that might have slipped and saw none. I just spoke with a local "old timer" DD guy whom I respect, and he tells me that just spinning the turbo by hand may not tell me one is bad. Apparently sometimes you have to push in and spin to find the problem. He also said to look for excessive soot around the unit. I admit I only gave it a cursory look on Sun, so I'm going to give it a closer inspection tomorrow.

Dan rebuilds the units himself, and I do trust him, but if it is a turbo, what are my options to purchase re: cost and dependability?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

If you could get me a part number off the turbo itself I can explore some options for you.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I'll try to find one tomorrow when I'm there. Would the engine s/n be of help? BTW, are the two (inboard and outboard) turbos identical or is there a "left" and a "right" turbo?