Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Carbs - rebuild or buy new

Find a copy of "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe. It's a comprehensive book on what it takes to do the infamous slobberjet right. They actually are good carbs when you get past the few known issues. They've mixed fuel for millions of GM vehicles and even a Ford CobraJet. If Ford is buying a GM carb for one of their high performance engines it can't be too bad.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Yeah - the Qjet is probably the most complicated standard production US carb ever made AND it had production casting plug leaks that need to be addressed in a rebuild as well.
    Which is why they are known as Quadrajunk and/or Quadrabog within many automotive circles.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Right.... and Ford Variable Venturis and Jezus Chrysler Thermoquads were far simpler and more reliable.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Based on my experiences with them, with a fresh and GOOD rebuild, and proper tuning, they are fine for a couple of years...and actually work well...but not for long. That's when the Quadrabog rears it's head. The new/updated ones being sold today don't seem to have that problem. Thats coming from my days of owning 60s and 70s Impalas. YMMV
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

holt shit ----did you say variable venturi? what a piece of crap..... we had them on about 500 police cars in the eighties... thank god for fuel injection

I've owned my boat for 9 years with quadrajets and haven't had a bit of trouble.

haters gonna hate.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381