Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Carbs - rebuild or buy new

I don't want to get much into this manifold thing; I would just suggest this...If it's a stock engine internally and you plan to leave it that way, leave the oem manifold in place; just bolt on the new/rebuilt carb and be done with it.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I went through this years ago. I took Qjets off two Merc 454s and put on Edelbrocks. They were great- ran well, used less fuel, and not a moments' trouble with them. these were the 750s, I think.

If you go the new route.

Here's a good price.

http://www.atlanticspeed.com/product...idCategory=136

If you are running a PCV system, you will have to drill and tap a fitting. Otherwise a simple upgrade. Don't buy more than a 600 CFM no matter what your friends tell you.
    Eric

I agree that the carbs Edelbrock sells are very good and would add my recommendation re them.

OTOH, I note that their marketing folks are, like most, a bit "overenthusiastic." This from their description of the carb: "Designed and calibrated for optimum marine performance in small-block V8 engines with a variety of manifolds that include Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, RPM Air-Gap, Torker II and other brands of similar design."

All these manifolds send different signals to the carb - it is not possible to achieve "optimum" performance with the same carb/setup on the same engine using each of these different manifolds. I'd offer that a more accurate description would be "Designed and calibrated for easy installation and trouble-free marine performance..." Then again, their marketing guys are probably a lot better at selling carburetors than I would be!

But they are good carburetors!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

And you get a free hat with each Edelbrock carb!! so you have two free hats.

Even the Hatteras Owners' Forum doesn't give free Hatts............

What more could anybody ask for!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    And you get a free hat with each Edelbrock carb!! so you have two free hats.

Even the Hatteras Owners' Forum doesn't give free Hatts............

Not true Sam's gave me a free hat at the boat show because I was a Sam's customer!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

FWIW, I had troubles with the Carter AFBs on our new-to-us Chris Craft Commander 42 last year. I picked up rebuild kits from an online supplier for about $40 each. The whole rebuild process took about 3hrs, from lifting the hatches to closing them up again. There was both water and...goop...in both carbs. That was 20 running hours ago and they've been working really well ever since.

Unless there was something really horribly wrong with the originals, I'd just rebuild 'em myself.
    Last edited by q240z; 05-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Not as easy with the old quadrajets.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yeah - the Qjet is probably the most complicated standard production US carb ever made AND it had production casting plug leaks that need to be addressed in a rebuild as well.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"