Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vosper Thorneycroft Series 50 Stabilizers

Can anyone help please?
    I have a problem with the Series 50 stabilizers fitted on my Hattaras 48LRC.
    Whilst the port fin works fine when I press start; then when the "Fins to centre" light illuminates the Starboard fin moves fully to the port side and stays there regardless of the comfort setting.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram and/or a fault finding chart, valve block literature oror indeed any information related to these please. Hydraulic pumps are fine as are the potentiomiters,

Vosper Thorneycroft no longer exists as a company and Naiad will only consider an expensive upgrade. I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has spares for the Series 50 stabilizers

As I am presently in the Mediterranean it would be advantagous if any information could be e-mailed.

Many thanks

John Hall
    Jersey Star.

Re: Vosper Thorneycroft Series 50 Stabilizers

I have the manual for Vosper Thotnycroft mini fins, not sure if it's series 50 though. My serial is 076-sb19

I can scan a few pages if that helps
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Good Morning Pascal,
    That would be terrific, thank you.
    The two main areas I'm looking for are the wirimg and the valve block assembly. I would be greatful for whatever you can send.
    Once again, many thanks. You've made a retired Scotsman very happy

Regards and thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I have the manual for Vosper Thotnycroft mini fins, not sure if it's series 50 though. My serial is 076-sb19

I can scan a few pages if that helps

I m away from the boat for a few days will doing as soon as I get back
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I owned this yacht from 1981 until 1987. It was then also called Jersey Star ,the name given to it by its first owner who only kept it for six months.Anyway it was not stabilsed when I sold it .I suspect Malcolm Verey of hatteras uk could help you with the stabiliser issue

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your response, I will indeed contact Malcolm to see if he has any information. Unfortunately when we purchased her last year she was in a pretty poor and neglected state so we have had to do some fairly big stuff to bring her back to her prime, but we're getting there.

Regards and thanks

John

I would suspect the solenoid on one side of that fin is in operative and not pushing back to centre the fin., does the fin "work" when underway, you can also operate the fin dockside , start the engine to get the pump running, turn on the unit and there should be a button at each solenoid on the fin that you can push and the fin will move accordingly.

Hi Canuck Dennis,
    Many thanks for ypour response, the fin doesn't operate when I'm underway but remains fully turned towards the port side. Can you please give me some more information on the "solenoid button" where will I locate it?

Regards and thanks

John

Look at the very top of the fin assy.. there should be an oblong metal block with a small button at front and rear this overrides the electric solenoid that is ahead of the button, if the button works the fin, then the solenoid is probably faulty....that's what my Vosper.maxi Fins have, the solenoid has two wires coming out so that is a good place to see where the buttons are...