Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

transducer question

Does anyone know if
    A: an old Datamarine depth transducer can be mated to a modern Garmin chart plotter, or
    B: there are any modern transducers that would slide into the Datamarine through-hull?
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: transducer question

What size is the existing through hull? We switch them out all the time but sometimes it makes sense to put in the correct transducer for the boat not the hole.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Don't know offhand. I guess I assumed Datamarine would all be the same. I'll have to wait to measure it next weekend.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Most of the Datamarine transducers are a different frequency than any of the modern stuff.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You can't use the old transducer. Find the one you want to use with the new package and then see want you need to do to install it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Thanks for all the input.
    Looks like another item to add to the "while it's hauled for painting" list.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Yes, as BoatsB said, the DM transducer won't work and it's a different diameter so you can't just drop in a new one. I did this with our boat a few years back and had to remove the DM transducers/fairing blocks and install the correct ducers/new blocks to work with the current stuff. Actually, I could have used the old blocks/drilled out the holes but new genuine plastic(!) ones came with the ducers so I removed the oem wood ones.

One thing you might consider - I added a back-up depth finder and used an in-hull transducer so no hole necessary. It works perfectly and agrees with the Garmin system but it is just reading depth on a separate depth gauge - I don't know if it would be accurate for fish-finding or bottom profile. But in hull is a heck of a lot easier!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Fairing block on a my? Its been years since I needed one except the big ones for fishing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

"Fairing block on a my? Its been years since I needed one except the big ones for fishing"

I don't understand why an MY needed one many years ago (oem from Hatt) and doesn't need one now. The fairing block still eliminates turbulence around the transducer and ensures it's pointing straight down.
    Last edited by MikeP; 04-01-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "Fairing block on a my? Its been years since I needed one except the big ones for fishing"

I don't understand why an MY needed one many years ago and doesn't need one now. The fairing block still eliminates turbulence around the transducer and ensures it's pointing straight down.

The new transducers will mount almost flush to the hull and are available in different angles to allow easier mounting.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009...37&manf=Garmin
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.