Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

50 Sport Deck vs 52 CPMY

I am seriously considering buying a 1993 52' CPMY 600 hour fresh water boat with 892's but am curious about how it compares to the newer 50' Sport Deck- any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    I don't have a Sport Deck in mind and most are salt water, but they are newer and priced similarly/slightly higher.

Re: 50 Sport Deck vs 52 CPMY

There was a member that repowered a 52 with qsms and was thinking of selling due to a relocation. Don't know what happened, but that would be a nice rig.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Hatteras also built a 52 Sport Deck until 1999. Main difference is the 50' boats came standard with 6v92 Detroits and were mostly two cabin models. The 52' came with 8v92 Detroits (and also some Cat 3406E boats like the one I own) and mostly three cabin models. I have been told the 50' is slightly underpowered but have never been on one. For some reason, the 50' seem to command a slightly higher price. If you like the SD model you should also consider the 52 SD.

Good morning, I see you are considering a 52 CPMY. We have a fresh water, Great Lakes 52 and love it! We have moved to Panama, and will be puting the boat up for sale sale this summer. Perhaps I should consider earlier than that and we should talk. We have the 2 stateroom model and 685 TOTAL hours on the 892. No rebuilds. Boat has spent its entire life on the Great Lakes, no salt water time other than maiden voyage from NC to the Lakes. Love the cockpit, and the back room is fantastic. Our boat has always spent the winter months in heated indoor storage. No broker yet so if interested email me at newport.alex@gmail.com Would love to help deliver her!!

Thanks for responding, I sent an email to your Gmail account.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the larger sized motors are preferred. What do you think of Cat vs. Detroit? I am not as concerned about speed as efficiency and durability/longevity. I suppose both are fine well maintained....
    What year is your boat?

Toronto's profile says his boat is a 1991.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by jpdworsky View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the larger sized motors are preferred. What do you think of Cat vs. Detroit? I am not as concerned about speed as efficiency and durability/longevity. I suppose both are fine well maintained....
    What year is your boat?
    The Cat boat wins hands down. Better performance, economy and longevity, but expect to pay for it. The Cat boats will be much more than the Detroit boats. A good clean FW Detroit boat may serve you well. A lot depends on your usage. How many hours and miles per season and what is your desired cruise speed? When I was boat shopping I was focused on Cat powered Hatt SF. A deal came along on a Detroit powered Hatt and that's the way I went. I wish I had the Cats but there's no way I could have found a boat as nice as mine with Cats for anywhere near what I paid for her.

Here's some interesting reading for you.
    http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...hlight=repower
    Last edited by saltshaker; 04-10-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Jack Sardina

i just purchased a 1996 52 CPMY in January and love the boat. I looked for a long time and this one came on the market on a Thursday and I made an offer on Saturday. On the day before the engine survey, the owner's captain ran the boat hard and overheated the starboard engine and it ingested water. The owner had wanted to move the boat fast and asked for another offer and I made one assuming the rebuild of both engines and he accepted. Turns out, the engine had a bad casting in the exhaust manifold. I had the engine rebuilt and the 8V92s run as smooth as silk. We just returned home bringing the boat back over 200 miles and it ran flawless. We have the two stateroom model and it offers tremendous room. With stabilizers and bow thruster, it handles great and the ride is smooth. The DDs are not the most economical, but I love their power and if you take care of them, they will not let you down.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    i just purchased a 1996 52 CPMY in January and love the boat. I looked for a long time and this one came on the market on a Thursday and I made an offer on Saturday. On the day before the engine survey, the owner's captain ran the boat hard and overheated the starboard engine and it ingested water. The owner had wanted to move the boat fast and asked for another offer and I made one assuming the rebuild of both engines and he accepted. Turns out, the engine had a bad casting in the exhaust manifold. I had the engine rebuilt and the 8V92s run as smooth as silk. We just returned home bringing the boat back over 200 miles and it ran flawless. We have the two stateroom model and it offers tremendous room. With stabilizers and bow thruster, it handles great and the ride is smooth. The DDs are not the most economical, but I love their power and if you take care of them, they will not let you down.
    Thanks for the response. This is a step up from what I'm used to but one that I look forward to as well!