Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which batteries start port engine?! Need fast answers, supposed to shove off at 2:00!

I would assume port, but want to double check. Went to start her this morning and all I get is a bunch of clicking, even when battery parallel switch is on. Battery condition meter on the 32v panel shows port batteries really low when not paralleled. flip the parallel switch and it shows like the starboard but still won't start. Is there any harm in holding the switch over for a while to let the battery/alternator for the starboard engine charge up the port? UGH!
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

2. Re: Which batteries start port engine?! Need fast answers, supposed to shove off at 2

If you hold the switch too long, it will burn out the solenoid...... "ask how I know......"
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Which batteries start port engine?! Need fast answers, supposed to shove off at 2

Port on our 53.

I don't think the parallel solenoid is a constant duty type so it may either trip a breaker/fuse at some point or weld the internal contacts. I've done all those on several occasions. Personally, if I couldn't get one of the engines to start using the parallel switch, I would sort out the problem with the batt bank/connections/whatever before I went out anywhere.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Which batteries start port engine?! Need fast answers, supposed to shove off at 2

If the bank shows low voltage, it's low voltage and will not turn over the mains, check ground wire first, then SG of the cells, then probably replace.

Double checking everything...thanks for the advice!
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

When paralleled the stbd bank will be directly connected to the port bank and to the starter so if there was enough juice to start stbd, port should start. Trying to charge port with stbd alternator isn't going to help,especially since your charger was on

Check battery condition first as well as terminal. One of them could be loose or corroded. Also check terminal at the starter for corrosion

Check actual voltage at the main starter terminal with parallel sol off and on.

Finally check the terminals on the parallel sol.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Check the batteries connections, and put your battery charger on MANUAL for a few minutes. Try to start it with the paralell switch and dont forget to put the charger on auto. good luck !

Remember the parallel switch gets switched to the bank opposite the one that needs the boost. Counter intuitive, but that's how it is set up.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

When I HAVE to parallel, I always start the good engine first, take it to about 1500 rpm for a minute or so to replace the starting battery's charge, then use the parallel switch for the other engine. I figure the alternator is putting out 13+ volts and I might as well send this to the other battery.

I don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Hi All,

FWIW the port bank starts the port engine on our 1974 48 YF. It also acts as the house bank on this model unless upgraded by the owner at the time of purchase or there after.

We accedently ran the port bank down once and the parallel selector switch provided immediate full backup starting power.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four