Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Looking to Buy 1969 Hatteras 41 TC

Hey I am new here and new to Hatteras Boats. I am currently looking at a project boat to make into a liveaboard for me here on the West coast of Calif.
    I am hoping you all can point me to some older threads I could read about things to look for on these.
    This boat has been Gutted on the inside and it has the 8v53 in it, meters read 1724 hrs. but boat is on the hard right now and I haven’t heard them run. Seller wants about 18k for it. Just looking for some thoughts. Also if one of you has one of these how loud are they when under way on the inside. Everything I read says the engines are noisy.
    Thanks for your help

Mike

Re: Looking to Buy 1969 Hatteras 41 TC

I own a 1966 Hatteras 41 TC with 8v53's. The engines are noisy. No doubt there. Mine have 2500 original hours and run great. At a 9-10 knot cruise, they burn almost no fuel. These boats are way over built. You should not likely run into any serious structural issues. At their current price point, old Hatteras Yachts can be an excellent value. Get a surveyor to look at it for you.

Be careful not to overpay for a project boat. The cost of refit is higher than ever, while the cost to purchase a very nice, well kept boat has never been lower. Shop carefully.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

How gutted is it? Redoing an interior properly can run into serious money and time.

I had a 1967 41 TC with 6v53's. It was a bit noisy, but that was the best sea boat I ever had. It had no bridge so a low center of gravity. When others we were cruising with headed for the shortest route, we just went across the sound on the diagonal and took the seas as they came. I sometimes wish I could give up the space of my 50' to go back to the 41TC.
    Be sure to buy it right and not be fooled. The value is really low now, but the rebuild costs are high....go figure.
    Best of luck!

Capt K