Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: brush painting Awlgrip

OK you Awlgrip fans, please advise. I have heard that Awlgrip rolls very well. Also heard that it just shines on the surface, and that you can not sand/buff out runs because below the surface it will not polish back up. The two reasons I have stayed with Imron despite the environmental concerns (I spray with a resperator/breathing air) are 1) perfect color match and 2) the ability to compound/polish back the shine until you actually wear through the paint. Since I am not an expert, I have a used rubbing compound on more than one occasion to fix a "mistake" and it looks fine after buffing out. Also that allows spot repairs to be blended in without doing whole big sections. I have always sprayed Imron, but remember someone here saying it will roll but not as well as Awlgrip and some of the new paints.

Jim, would appreciate some lessons learned, as I am about to do all decking and perhaps some areas above the windows alongside the fly bridge where the paint is getting thin. I think it would be much easier to roll the decks which are sill OEM finish. I understand avoiding Imron if you don't spray, but why Awlgip and not Alexseal or Perfection (which I believe roll well and allow you to buff out mistakes)? Just trying to learn as much as possible before the next paint project. Thanks, Bob K
    Last edited by the kuz; 04-11-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Re: brush painting Awlgrip

"As a matter of fact I think I am going to tie up next to MikeP's Hatteras and sand away, hoping he'll wash both boats at the same time "

My plan, after I get to the boat in about 2 weeks, is to make a sandwich and a Painkiller, go over to the dock where Jim will be working on his boat, sit in a lawn chair, and say things like, "I don't think that's going to work," or "Shouldn't you have used 400 instead of 320?" or, "I knew that color wouldn't match." or "Uh Oh, now what?"

I'm a Kuz kind of guy - load up the gun and spray the Imron! But seriously - I have no experience whatsoever in rolling/tipping such a project. I claim to do everything on my 53MY but I have to admit that when I decided to redo all nonskid on both levels, I paid to have it done. I admire Jim's willingness to undertake it. I'm sure with his insistence on doing things right, it will come out looking great.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"