Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: brush painting Awlgrip

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Yes you can do that actually Sterling paint suggest using comet and a sponge or light scrub brush. I have done it to faded paint jobs must have been over 12 years ago paint still sticking.
    Ive been told that from another manufacturer too and they also suggested a 3M pad or brass wire brush to prep the non skid to paint over. I believe the best part of that was the original non skid was used again and I did not have to add more grit.

Then again I tried the KIWIGRIP and had to say after a year and a half its pretty good and was so much easier. With the dog and the kids I expected it to be torn up but I am pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There's no shine left on the nonskid part of my decks. It's all be scrubbed off long since. I am going to degrease it with Awlprep, re-scuff it with a Scotchbrite pad, and roll new AG and GripTex onto it. I think it will be fine. It's the shiny parts I am worried about. We'll see how it goes.

You need to do the shiny parts a bit different. I would suggest the shiny parts be done after the rest so you dont get the griptex on them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    You need to do the shiny parts a bit different. I would suggest the shiny parts be done after the rest so you dont get the griptex on them.
    I always do the shine part first it is to hard to tape and get a good line against non skid.

As for Kiwi mine also is holding up very well that stuff is as hard as a rock. But I am sure Scott's family and FL sun is the true test!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I always do the shine part first it is to hard to tape and get a good line against non skid.

As for Kiwi mine also is holding up very well that stuff is as hard as a rock. But I am sure Scott's family and FL sun is the true test!
    True with the tape but I never marred the nonskid the way I have the shiny. i do get the dropsys every now and again.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    If you have compressed air for sanding and clean up the job may be doable. The problem with rolling/brushing is getting the primer on. By the time you sand the brush marks or roller stipple out you don't have much primer left. I just bought two quarts of awlgrip primer but I havn't had time to try it. The 545 primer doesn't roll out that well. I ended up stripping the non-skid. It was eating up sandpaper as fast as I could change it. The primer I just got was awlquip.

I have rolled a total of 3 gallons of Awlgrip 545 on the top side without any problems... Awlgrip recommends 2 coats prior to top coat paints. I used D8001 White base, D3001 Converter, T0031 Brush reducer.

The below is from Awlgrip

545 is a two component epoxy primer with outstanding corrosion and adhesion properties for steel, aluminum, wood, and fiberglass substrates. 545 is used to seal surfacing primers before applying topcoats. It may be applied by spray, brush, or roller and may be used above or below the waterline.

Application Instructions
    Spray Application:
    Apply smooth, wet coats to fill and cover surface profile. 2-3 coats may be needed at 7-10 mils (175-250 microns) WFT yielding 2-3
    mils (50-75 microns) DFT.

Brush or Roller Application:
    Apply 2 coats at 3-4 mils (75-100 microns) WFT yielding 1.0-1.5 mils (25-37 microns) DFT per coat. Allow 12-14 hours between coats.
    Light sanding between coats will improve appearance. For large surfaces, rolling then tipping with a brush is preferred.
    Do not apply paint materials to surfaces warmer than 105°F or colder than 55°F. Do noattempt to cure products at temperatures below
    55°F.
    Warning:
    Do not apply paint materials to surfaces less than 3°C (5° F) above dew point, or to surfaces warmer than 41°C (105°
    Last edited by SeaWhisper; 03-28-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Thanks for all the help on this. I am starting to collect everything I'll need to do this. Turns out I have a lot of AG products sitting around- I must have anticipated this in the past

I spent the last few days getting Blue Note ready to move after she went back in the water- got everything put back up, and replaced some SS clamps for the seawater feed hose to the PSS system on the port side. If the weather cooperates, we will move her Thursday and after that over to the covered shed and I'll begin this project.

I expect to have plenty of help, in the form of dockside kibitzers who come by and tell me everything I'm doing wrong. Which, I suppose, will be plenty....

Jim, you will need good light for sure. You might want to pull the boat outside for the actual painting, then pull it in for curing. All the pros down here in Miami do sand between coats. That is the main advantage of spraying. You can overcoat every 2 hours. Wet on wet gives the best bond, but is not to be done with roll and tip.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    Jim, you will need good light for sure. You might want to pull the boat outside for the actual painting, then pull it in for curing. All the pros down here in Miami do sand between coats. That is the main advantage of spraying. You can overcoat every 2 hours. Wet on wet gives the best bond, but is not to be done with roll and tip.
    The last thing you want to do is paint in direct sunlight!!!!!!

Just use these things called Flood light you can get them at Home Dumpo!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I do have instructions and some from USPaint. Apparently the brushing/rolling converter allows you to re-roll the second coat within sixteen hours, and it will still cross-link with the first coat. I hope so. And I am not going to paint it in the sun.

As a matter of fact I think I am going to tie up next to MikeP's Hatteras and sand away, hoping he'll wash both boats at the same time