Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: brush painting Awlgrip

Jim has shared his plans with me and most of what he wants to paint is non-skid. Pretty simple and straight forward. The few areas that are "shiny" are small and will be quite easy to get around and coat. I think he will do fine.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

2. Re: brush painting Awlgrip

I rolled the hull of my boat in 2004... Came out great... foam rollers were the key and had almost zero use of a brush... And it still looks super...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Jim has shared his plans with me and most of what he wants to paint is non-skid. Pretty simple and straight forward. The few areas that are "shiny" are small and will be quite easy to get around and coat. I think he will do fine.

Are you going to help him?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Non skid is probably one of the worst areas to repaint. No one wants to grind all the old nonskid off but to get the new paint to stick it has to be done. There is virtualy no way to get the surface clean and free of imbedded oils and crap with out doing it. You'll need a 7" sander with one of those thick foam pads. If you use a 4 or 5" DA or jitterbug you just end up with those "DIY" divots. Prep is the key if you dont want potato chips of awlgrip peeling in a year.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I'd wait until the pollen season is over. It's awful in Central Virginia. Md can't be much better. If anyone is painting now, it had better be yellow paint!

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Non skid is probably one of the worst areas to repaint. No one wants to grind all the old nonskid off but to get the new paint to stick it has to be done. There is virtualy no way to get the surface clean and free of imbedded oils and crap with out doing it. You'll need a 7" sander with one of those thick foam pads. If you use a 4 or 5" DA or jitterbug you just end up with those "DIY" divots. Prep is the key if you dont want potato chips of awlgrip peeling in a year.
    I agree with rsmith on this one!!. I ended up taking a obrital sander and 60 grit to get my old non skid off!!! But I have to mention an observation that I saw this past summer! A couple of painters back in July was working on a hatt two slips down. . What caught my attention was, they were scubbing a fresh painted deck (10 days old) with a course brush and soft scrub. What had happend was the deck was painted with the wrong white shade of color. I just couldn't walk away without asking... Don't you need to sand the non skid off the deck and start over? Their reply was, this method had the same effect as using 400 grit sand paper. So after a day of scrubing, and two days later, they rolled a new shade of white to match. It's been 8 months and the boat will be returning from the Bahama's in a couple of weeks... So what say the painters?
    Last edited by SeaWhisper; 03-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    I'd wait until the pollen season is over. It's awful in Central Virginia. Md can't be much better. If anyone is painting now, it had better be yellow paint!
    Fighting lady yellow always looks good on a SF.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Mike PM me with your phone number, if you don't mind.

I am going to rent a covered slip for this, I don't think I could manage it in the sunlight. I am trying to find a second guy to help me, I think that is a good idea, too, as you all said.
    Bump!! PM sent.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Fighting lady yellow always looks good on a SF.
    NOOOOOOOOOOO bad luck like Bananas!!!!!

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I had non skid done three boats ago by a lauderdale crew from Grenada. They used a heavy grit compund and a buffing machine followed by an etching solution like "liquid sand."

I have to say I was skeptical but they had done good work for me in the past and it lasted years until I sold the boat and have no idea how long after that.

His name was Andy Mitchell and I wish he was still working, I heard he went back to the Grenadines and opened a restaurant... nice kid.
    Shawn
    58 MY