Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Search Light

Search Light

I have the original 12V chrome 10" Ray-Line/Jabsco search light on my 80 Mod. Hatt. The downstairs controls will allow the light to go up and down but will not travel side to side although you can hear a click when you move the toggle knob to control the light either way. I assume power is there, thus the click. This is recent too as it did work about a month ago albeit I had to work the toggle allot in order for the contacts to make contact etc. The upstairs control does not work at all except the light will turn on an off. I hear no such contacts with that switch when you move it up,down or to either side. The wire assembly seems tight in rear of each control. Has to be something simple because it did work a month ago?????

I do not want to send it off. I have tried to assist it manually and with NO luck.
    Need some ideas about how to trouble shoot this.

Worse case new light. Ideas, brand type, wireless. KISS, please.

Will

Re: Search Light

I've had this happen before and replacing the control panel fixed it. You may have an issue with the gear or motor in the light but I would try the switch first. Can you trip the joystick/switch to make it run?
    Jack Sardina

Thanks. I guess replacing the control panel seems the first option because these switches I worked on I was hard with in order for the contacts to contact. It was dark that night and needed a light!..Where do I get a replacement?

Better still, how do I jump it? If you do not want to write a novel try 901-680-7798.

Will Shelton

I ordered the switch through my marina. I'm sure SAMs will have them too. Not sure what wires would jump the switch but a call to Jabsco should get you an answer. You can also try L.B. Harvey Marine Inc. in Miami 1-800-856-1583. They'll have any parts you need and should be able to tell you what wires are what on your particular model.
    Jack Sardina

To replace with a similar light you are looking at a Carlisle & Fitch for $8,000-10,000. Other than that you can put a cheapo one up there or get yours repaired.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If you hear a click when you move the joystick then the circuit to the motors is OK. I suspect it's a clutch issue in the searchlight. There are two motors and two sets of clutches. The clutches can stick and not allow the motor to turn.

When we bought our 53MY in '04 the light didn't elevate/traverse so I disassembled it, installed new clutches and cleaned the little gearboxes (one for each motor). It worked correctly after that but I have found that if you don't periodically exercise the light left/right and up/down, the clutches tend to begin sticking again and the movement of the light will be very sluggish until you have run it through its travel a few times.

The clutches are not technically difficult to adjust but they are a bit fiddly.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

I will second that. Fiddly is the correct term. You have to play with them to get them right.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    If you hear a click when you move the joystick then the circuit to the motors is OK. I suspect it's a clutch issue in the searchlight. There are two motors and two sets of clutches. The clutches can stick and not allow the motor to turn.

When we bought our 53MY in '04 the light didn't elevate/traverse so I disassembled it, installed new clutches and cleaned the little gearboxes (one for each motor). It worked correctly after that but I have found that if you don't periodically exercise the light left/right and up/down, the clutches tend to begin sticking again and the movement of the light will be very sluggish until you have run it through its travel a few times.

This sounds like the issue. I guess I take the light down and apart and find the motor and clutches in the base of the unit. The light (take the glass front off) itself has a socket for the bulb as I recall having replaced the bulb a time or two. Question is where do I find the clutches?

Motors and clutches are in the base. As I remember, you need to remove the bottom bracket and loosen a set screw or two on the shaft at the top for everything to slide out of the base.
    Sky Cheney