Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8V195 batteries

Unhappy 8V195 batteries

UGH! I just got quoted $240 (delivered) for one battery by a battery wholesaler in the Tidewater area. Any know of a cheaper source? I need to replace all of them (16).....
    Thanks, Skip
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

Re: 8V195 batteries

You have 16 of them on a 53MY? Most only have 8.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    UGH! I just got quoted $240 (delivered) for one battery by a battery wholesaler in the Tidewater area. Any know of a cheaper source? I need to replace all of them (16).....
    Thanks, Skip
    Sounds fair... just purchased the same batteries for $255.00. Agree with "SKY" you only need 8....
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

I'm pretty sure the 8v195 is made exclusively by Deka. Not sure where you are, but try calling Battery Sales or DC Battery in Miami, they each seem to do a lot of 8 volt business. However, I'd agree$240 is a pretty good price. Another thought is if you have a local Batteries Plus franchise, they can special order them too if the local guy is savvy enough. That's where I got some two years ago here in NC, I just use them on the starboard side start bank; I got a set of Rolls for my house bank which are more of a deep cycle. The 8v195 is a much lighter, (90 lbs vs 119) and 4" shorter battery than the 819 which I believe was the OEM size. For any kind of deep cycle/house use, I'd expect a shorter lifespan depending on use. We use the boat a lot year around and anchor out most of the time when we do, which is why I went to the Rolls.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thanks for the input. The boat is up in Virginia and we are still in Florida, so I guess my memory is aging with the rest of me. Eight it is.
    Thanks,
    skip
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

Skip- I have my guy at NAPA in Va Beach checking for a price and I will post back the result. You said you need 16?
    Ralph
    1985 45C
    VA Beach, VA

Are you sure that's the right battery?

I believe the correct 8 volt battery for most of the bigger old Hatts the is 819. The 8V195 have an issue with early failure and have less capacity. The 819 cost more but should far outlast them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Their have been complaints re the 895 vs the 819 as far as longevity. I was concerned about this as well when I replaced ours in '10.

I replaced the 819s with 895s at the recommendation of a local batt supplier who carries both. They were $207 each (x 8) in 2010 so the prices quoted don't sound out of line. I asked him about the 895s and complaints; he said his shop had no issues with them and they supply a lot of batteries for marine applications in the central Ches bay area. The shop has a good reputation and I decided to take him at his word, figuring he would know way more about it than anyone else. The price included delivery of the batts to the marina/dock but not onto the boat.

The 895s have slightly more capacity than the 819's but are smaller/lighter due to the design. If you remove/install the batts yourself, I guarantee you will really appreciate the 895s!

HOWEVER, since I have only had the batts for not quite 2 years, I have no idea yet re the longevity. I try to properly maintain them, including water level, periodic EQ charging, and use of a very smart charger - the Outback 3232 inverter/charger.

I always said that when I needed new batts I would put Rolls in - as did Hatt originally. But when it came down to it, it was just too much money at the time. OTOH, the original batts in our '80 53MY lasted 15 years. In '95 the PO installed the first set of Dekka replacement batts...it's on it's 3rd replacement set since then so the Rolls are probably a better deal if your wallet (and your back) can handle the strain.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Hi Skip. Remember the guy on the 58 ft Bertram down the dock from us? He told me recently that he can get some good deals on batteries. I'll ask him tonight to price these 895's.
    Regards,
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Tidewater Yacht Marina
    Portsmouth, VA

Skip- No luck at NAPA in Va Beach said they would have to order them and would take 2 weeks.
    Ralph
    1985 45C
    VA Beach, VA