Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How many of you have a life raft?

I am working on my list to bring the boat home and I have been looking a a life raft. I was thinking a six person raft with a cradle. Friend of mine said they wouldn't spend the money but if they did they would get the cheapest.

Seems a bit stupid to me but considering what I just spent on the boat a few grand for a life raft doesn't seem like a big deal. He said not many of boaters he knows spends money on a raft. We routinely go offshore 20 miles. My big concern is if boat catches fire and we need to get off in a hurry.

Should I get one before heading home or after I get here? Getting ready to make a 400+ mile trip and could possibly head out to the gulf stream to take advantage of the 3 knot per hour push.... and fish of course.

Comments?

Re: How many of you have a life raft?

Renting is always an option...

Had a Givens but it did not pass inspection this last go round. I bought a Revere off shore 8 person life raft at the Miami Boat Show. They had a great special of 1699 delivered for the liferaft which was 800 below list. Would not leave home without one.

Images

I agree, don’t leave home without one. Having participated in a couple of SAR events I can tell you that if you are in the water lots of things are working against you. Wind, current, water temperature, weather, angle of the sun, night fall, to name a few. The search area expands rapidly and it takes time for assets to respond. It’s much easier to find you and your family in a life raft with an EPIRB than in a life jacket. Anything that extends your survival time in the event of an emergency is a good thing.
    Larry Stoddard
    Neraida II
    58 LRC

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

I have a 6 man raft, here on the west coast the water temperature is in the 50's. Your chance of survival is about an hour and half in a life jacket less without. Launching your dingy is an option if you have the time and your boat is upright. If your boat capsizes all bets are off. If conditions are too rough for your dingy, then what? I think a raft is cheap insurance.

Got a 6 person Givens and an epirb. I usually run no more than 7 miles off shore in fresh water. But in April the water temp is in the 40's, and doesn't usually get past 50 until mid to late May. Chances are I could also run aground and sink the boat and still have dry feet - but these things don't usually go per plan. Picked mine up from a neighbor for the cost of a bottle of Goose, had the enclosure painted and recertified (that was the $). I rest easy while running in the Spring.

Another view - what's the downside risk of carrying a life raft?
    Last edited by TopHattandTails; 03-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I borrowed one from a friend for a Bahamas trip that I'm not taking.

I think it's for sale---maybe $400.?---if you're interested. It's a high-end, 6 person raft with GPS and EPIRB but requires re-certification.

PM me if you're interested and I'll ask. I have to return it to him next week anyway.

Depends on how and where you will use the boat. If you boat in cold water or routinely go offshore, then it s probably a wise decision. Keep in mind that certification runs close to $1000 depending on what needs to be replaced inside the survival kit. Rafts also have a limited life span (10 to 15 years ) so if getting a used one, the price has to be right

An EPIRB is at least as important as a raft, along with a good ditch bag with a handheld VHF and GPS. If your boat came with an EPIRB, make sure you update the registration (online) before the trip
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Years ago, Winslows were rated the best by several multi-raft tests. Avons are also good, and Switliks. You could look into renting one, but because of the canisters in them, they can be expensive to ship back to the shop that rented it to you, if it is a one-way rental. But twenty miles offshore, I'd really want to have one. I think it's much safer if you carry one. Big enough for everyone aboard.

I wouldn't leave home without one. I love my family and friends way to much, no matter what the water temperature is or how far off shore I am.