Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Items needed to bring 53 ft Yachtfish home?

"ROGER" on the steering. I'll check mine. Yeah, Wilmington is a pretty neat place. We were going there yesterday but the weather turned for the worse, so we elected to sit in the slip and chill out. There's nothing good that happens on the Cape Fear River with 20 kt winds. Not to mention the rain and cold. I got it nice and warm in the salon, kick back on the couch. Life is Good.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

When I went on sea trial with my boat, I brought my digital camera. Without much forethought, I took some pictures of the helm underway at varies RPMs. This gave me an excellent record of how every guage read at each rpm...

It turned out be a great move, because I can always reference the pictures to see where the gauges read.

Tom

Wink Re: Items needed to bring 53 ft Yachtfish home?

Also check out Jarrett Bays Hat School.Well worth it and last I saw there were 8 spots left.We went before we bought our boat and it was a great resorse.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Isecond the Hatt School suggestion. Roger wetherington is a national treasure of experience. Also itmay be wrthwhile to hire Bruce Morrison, not as a captain per se but to ride along.

Bythe time you get back home he and his decades of veryspecific hatteras factory experience can provide you a work list or plan that no one can beat. Money well spent.

Bruce is in beaufort and travels all the time. 252 670 8053
    Shawn
    58 MY

Have a fun trip.

It's a great boat... congratulations! Before the survey, go to the "Frequently Asked Service Questions" in this site and read the post on Initial Survey List for 53MY and 58YF. It has lots of items specific to your boat. Check things yourself too. Many surveyors miss things they really should catch. For instance, make them run the engines wide open for 15 minutes if the diesel surveyor does not. It can not harm them and you can see how high the RPMs go compared to spec and if they will overheat. Don't let the owner tell you it's bad for the boat, because it isn't.

Have the surveyor run the genny with 3 air conditioners running, and/or other items to put a load on the genny for 20 minutes or so... same reason.

Check under the windlass mounts in the ceiling of the anchor rode locker with a strong flashlight to look for signs of wet and/or rust. The deck core can get wet there and cause huge headaches or expenses later.

Check for wetness or mold in the forward storage compartment of the flybridge. Deck cores can get wet and soft there from water seeping around the mounting screws.

Check the forward holding tank level and starting from empty, flush the forward head 5 times and the mid head 5 times to make sure the tank doesn't overflow due to rotted out pumpout pipe preventing a good pumpout.

If it's not a rainy day, hose down the 3 windshields and up under the brow, and then watch for water on the inside around the windshield glass.

Tilt out the lower helm station and look at the wiring there... is it a maze of PO wires or is it rather neat as it was originally? New electronics will add something of a maze, but watch for bad wiring practices.

Have Fun!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant1 View Post
    It's a great boat... congratulations! Before the survey, go to the "Frequently Asked Service Questions" in this site and read the post on Initial Survey List for 53MY and 58YF. It has lots of items specific to your boat. Check things yourself too. Many surveyors miss things they really should catch. For instance, make them run the engines wide open for 15 minutes if the diesel surveyor does not. It can not harm them and you can see how high the RPMs go compared to spec and if they will overheat. Don't let the owner tell you it's bad for the boat, because it isn't.

Have the surveyor run the genny with 3 air conditioners running, and/or other items to put a load on the genny for 20 minutes or so... same reason.

Check under the windlass mounts in the ceiling of the anchor rode locker with a strong flashlight to look for signs of wet and/or rust. The deck core can get wet there and cause huge headaches or expenses later.

Check for wetness or mold in the forward storage compartment of the flybridge. Deck cores can get wet and soft there from water seeping around the mounting screws.

Check the forward holding tank level and starting from empty, flush the forward head 5 times and the mid head 5 times to make sure the tank doesn't overflow due to rotted out pumpout pipe preventing a good pumpout.

If it's not a rainy day, hose down the 3 windshields and up under the brow, and then watch for water on the inside around the windshield glass.

Tilt out the lower helm station and look at the wiring there... is it a maze of PO wires or is it rather neat as it was originally? New electronics will add something of a maze, but watch for bad wiring practices.

Have Fun!

Doug

Doug not all new electronics installations make a mess of the wiring. A good professional install will be as neat or neater than the original. I just finished wiring a fire suppression and shut down system into a boat and the wiring is as neat as the original factory wiring. It is a Cranchi and the wiring was far neater than any vintage Hatt ever was.

If the wiring looks like an amateur was in there one probably was. It may also reflect in other things that are not original on the boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Given where fuel prices are heading, I suggest you bring a fat wallet.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Bob,

You are thinking the same thing my Dad has been telling me (he is a sail boater, I like them too) and has been trying to get me to look at large sailboats. But, my family likes the motorboats.

I don't drink nor do I smoke, so I gotta spend it on something. I might as well spend it having fun with the family. My thinking is that I have my house and cars paid for so I figure I can easily spend about a grand to maybe fifteen hundred a month thru the summer months for fuel and we should be able to do whatever we like.

My beach house in Myrtle beach SC is also paid for (and up for sale if anyone is interested) so I am looking at the boat about like my beach house on water. I hope I am not too far off on the fuel usage. If so someone let me know.

Sounds like $1,500 a month, at $5/ gal will get you about 8-8.5 hours a month in time (at 13 knots and 36 gph). Not terrible. But since it's a new boat and you'll want to run it and take all your buddies for a spin, I bet you burn more fuel. Our boat is a weekend cottage for May through October and we usually burn up 3,500 gallons a season with no big trips. Maybe a few 6 hour days, but no serious mileage.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY