Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need Onan Generator Help, Please

The fuel transfer pump on BUFFALO GAL's Onan 20.0 DL4 generator is leaking. I have been unable to find a replacement pump anywhere, including Sam's and the Onan/Cummins distributor. Apparently Onan stopped making replacement pumps several years ago.

- Does anyone out there have one of these pumps?
    - Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

The generator has only 2500 hrs on it and works fine otherwise, so I don't want to scrap it. Thanks.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Need Onan Generator Help, Please

Could you get rid of that pump and just use an electric fuel pump?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Try Oberdorfer Pump company. Also try Depco Pump in Florida. Also, is there a rebuild kit available for it- not a new pump, but a rebuild set? This is a mechanical pump, I assume- it's what they call the lift pump, which sends fuel to the high-pressure pump. For a lift pump, you might be able to get a rebuild kit.

Failing all that, if you can figure out the pressure and flow specs, which may be available on-line or from Onan, you could think about fitting an electric fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Try Oberdorfer Pump company. Also try Depco Pump in Florida. Also, is there a rebuild kit available for it- not a new pump, but a rebuild set? This is a mechanical pump, I assume- it's what they call the lift pump, which sends fuel to the high-pressure pump. For a lift pump, you might be able to get a rebuild kit.

Failing all that, if you can figure out the pressure and flow specs, which may be available on-line or from Onan, you could think about fitting an electric fuel pump.
    Thanks Jim and Sky. Onan says the pump is not rebuildable. I'll try Oberdorfer and Depco. The electric pump is a great idea, but I can't find a 32V one. 12 and 24 yes, 32 no. Sam's had some a few years ago, but their supplier stopped making them and they can't find another.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Try "Buddy" at Coral Bay Marina in Islamorada, he seems to have a lot of old dusty Onan parts boxes on his shelves there. There is also a dealer on S.R 84 in Ft Lauderdale who carries a fair bit of Onan stuff...his name just escapes right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Try "Buddy" at Coral Bay Marina in Islamorada, he seems to have a lot of old dusty Onan parts boxes on his shelves there. There is also a dealer on S.R 84 in Ft Lauderdale who carries a fair bit of Onan stuff...his name just escapes right now...
    Sailorman in FL. Ask for Jeff - Parts mgr.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I have a 15kw and just rebuilt the lift pump last year, Had the gasket kit in a couple of days and a simple rebuild. Just a few gaskets a spring and a few other parts and it was back on. I had no pressure when operating the primer lever because of a very small leak in the diaphragm. I cant recall the price but it was very reasonable.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Sky has the old 20 he removed, maybe get his used pump. should both be MDL4 models.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Thanks, Dennis. I'll give Coral Bay a call. Could the place in FL be Sailorman?
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Quote Originally Posted by TopHattandTails View Post
    Sailorman in FL. Ask for Jeff - Parts mgr.
    Thanks. I thought Dennis might be thinking of Sailorman.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY