Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanted: 32V motor for Groco oil change pump

The motor on the Groco SPO-40-R oil change pump in the engine room is shot. Groco no longer makes the 32V motor (big surprise!). Does anyone out there have one? Sam's is checking with their motor supplier, but I don't hold out much hope.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Wanted: 32V motor for Groco oil change pump

Have you taken it to a shop to see if it can be rebuilt? Might be worth giving Depco a call and getting their advice. It's not a Groco motor, and 32V motors are still around.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Vic's DC electric in stuart Fla vic can rebuild any DC motor

http://vicsdc.com/
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Have you taken it to a shop to see if it can be rebuilt? Might be worth giving Depco a call and getting their advice. It's not a Groco motor, and 32V motors are still around.
    It;s a permanent magnet motor. The shop says one of the magnets is broken and it's not repairable. However, Rob Smith sent me a lead on a place in Stuart that may be able to do it. I'm going to try them today.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Vic's is a great resource. Good tip. I hadn't though of him for motor rebuild, but it makes sense he could, or find a way to economically replace the motor with something else.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Bill - not sure how many oil changes you will do at anchor, but a 110vAC unit would be readily available and do a much better job pulling new cold oil into the mains and tranny's. But if you want to change the oil while on the hook, genny power would get the vAC pump running.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by TopHattandTails View Post
    Bill - not sure how many oil changes you will do at anchor, but a 110vAC unit would be readily available and do a much better job pulling new cold oil into the mains and tranny's. But if you want to change the oil while on the hook, genny power would get the vAC pump running.
    Good suggestion. If I can't get the 32V motor rebuilt, I plan to either go to a GROCO 24V motor and wire it to run off three of the 8V house batteries, or just dispense with the motor completely and buy a portable 110V transfer pump that I can connect to the oil change manifold in the engine room. I thought of mounting a small permanent 110V motor to the pump and just plugging it into the 110v outlet in the engine room, but I think it would be tough to get the correct shaft configuration and pump housing to motor alignment. Seems like a portable 110V pump is just a simpler way to go, and would be useful for more ways than just changing the oil.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Bill I wentthrough the same thing with my Groco 32v. They could match up the old 32 volt motor with either a 12 or 24 and also noodle a 110 volt motor on to the old gear pump head.

I ended up replacing the whole motor/pump unit with a 110v reverso. They have some great leftover deals still at:

http://reversopumps.com/clearance-sa...ump-602-series

In my case the whole unit was cheaper than getting the Groco reworked and the up side is the 110 works faster than my old 32 volt did... and I can never remember doing an oil change when i didnt have 110 available anyways.
    Shawn
    58 MY

There is a Groco 32 volt P9000 reversing pump on E-Bay. Asking $1,500.00.

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    Bill I wentthrough the same thing with my Groco 32v. They could match up the old 32 volt motor with either a 12 or 24 and also noodle a 110 volt motor on to the old gear pump head.

I ended up replacing the whole motor/pump unit with a 110v reverso. They have some great leftover deals still at:

http://reversopumps.com/clearance-sa...ump-602-series

In my case the whole unit was cheaper than getting the Groco reworked and the up side is the 110 works faster than my old 32 volt did... and I can never remember doing an oil change when i didnt have 110 available anyways.
    Thanks, Sean. You're absolutely right that it's unlikely I would be changing oil in a place where I couldn't get 110V if I needed it. Did you mount the new unit in the engine room where the old one was? Did you hard wire it, or install a cord to plug into the 110V outlet in the engine room?
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY