Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 64 Lowland

64 Lowland

Does anyone know anything about his boat? She is listed in Annapolis. Also, on this forum, we have discussed the costly upkeep for an aluminum boat. Does that also apply to a steel bot like this? Any thoughts on the make, model, condition and upkeep for this vessel would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

Re: 64 Lowland

Listing says she is aluminum. I am not sure.

Lowland is a terrific facility. I was there in the late 80"s getting some work done on a tug. No idea what is going on there these days.

Truly fantastic craftsmanship... easily on a par with other feadship group yards and I know some of the other dutch names DeVries, Moonen etc had many designs constructed there .

They built in both Corten Steel and Aluminum in my experience. As far as maintenance, metal boats have their share of issues, different admittedly than our plastic boats but only "worse" when they have been critically forsaken by owners.

This one looks well kept and it would surprise me if you would see some of the electrolysis issues if she is Aluminum, that are more common on Burgers and Browards.

Mostly it comes down to bonding systems and the Dutch are really diligent in that regard... gives bad owners some wiggle room.
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 01-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Shawn
    58 MY

BMP = please or maybe Doug should move it to the Boat for Sale forum?

Images

I spent time on her at last year’s North Palm Beach boat show. I will send you a pm.

Larry
    58 LRC

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    BMP = please or maybe Doug should move it to the Boat for Sale forum?
    Thanks.

I have been aboard several of these yachts in Europe. They are very well built and engineered. I would not be afraid to consider this boat with the help of a good surveyor. Aluminum boats can be audio gauged to check if there is any corrosion. If the pictures are an accurate reflection of the condition of the boat, she is a steal (no pun intended) at the asking price.

Last, the listing broker (Bill W's company) has a good reputation. Deal with Bill directly he will guide you.

Spin

I know the original owner and my brother delivered it with him to the great lakes when new. Call me at 2314096034c and I will tell you some of the history. Eric

My 70 ft Stephens in Vancouver is Aluminum with lots of teak trim, boat is 1974 vintage, I have owned since 1991...
    Biggest issues with maintenance, assumes all electrical high and low voltage is properly installed and maintained, is the oils that leech form the teak into the fairing and then to the aluminum, oxidizes and lays down some surface corrosion Next one is where any welds are not continuous the possibility of oxidization again occurs and the fairing breaks down, easily repaired and worth the strength and longevity of the materials. The big plus I found was NO LEAKS ..no hull twisting in heavy seas and the cleats are welded on the boat, I have a 43 Ft 1979 Hatt here in Florida and the Stephens is twice the boat., as I run for cover .....