Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie Question Stripping exterior Varnish

Gents,
    New here but I did do some searching and found many post of finishes but not much on the method of stripping. The boat I just purchased needs much work on the exterior wood. The door and all of the trim. It has varnish that has seperated from the wood and peelled off on 30 to 40% of it. What is the prefered way to remove what is left of the varnish?
    Also on the station to starboard ( I suppose its called a bait station) the doors with off white colored laminate is peeling. What is the prefered way to remedy this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Newbie Question Stripping exterior Varnish

Heat gun and a scraper.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Ditto...ditto..ditto..

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Ditto...ditto..ditto..
    Heat gun works best. If you haven't used one before, be very careful not to burn the wood. If youur boat haas dodger board panels under the aft sections of rail be aware that the heat from the gun can melt the paint on them. I cover the top part of the dodger board with masking paper, then use the heat gun only down to the sides of those aft rails. So far, I haven't blistered any paint.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Thanks, sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Any ideas on the exterior bait station doors?

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Thanks, sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Any ideas on the exterior bait station doors?
    Most were plywood with an Imron topcoat. If so, you'll need to sand and repaint.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Last year I removed all varnish from the toe rail, stern and bow pulpit on my 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF and did a lot of it with the heat gun and plastic stripping tool. However, I also used SOY STRIP, a soybean-based product I found online that was guaranteed not to harm my gel coat. It was safe....no damage and worked great. It is a very thick product that can be used even on vertical surfaces and left on for several hours without drying too much and does not run like the thin chemical stuff does. It's worth a look. Just type in Soy Strip in your search box and you'll find it.

Clint

Thanks guys, will let you know results

Did you buy that 36c.? I am in the process of refinishing the teak on mine. I removed the salon door and bridge steps and am refinishing in my shop. The hatch and rear window trim will be done in place. I used 100 grit sandpaper and the old finish came off pretty easily. I will say there was not much finish left to remove. I am on my 6th coat of Captains and it looks awesome. I cant wait to get to the remaining peices when the weather warms up. I am replacing the door rollers and hareware while i am at it. Purchased at Sams.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    Did you buy that 36c.? I am in the process of refinishing the teak on mine. I removed the salon door and bridge steps and am refinishing in my shop. The hatch and rear window trim will be done in place. I used 100 grit sandpaper and the old finish came off pretty easily. I will say there was not much finish left to remove. I am on my 6th coat of Captains and it looks awesome. I cant wait to get to the remaining peices when the weather warms up. I am replacing the door rollers and hareware while i am at it. Purchased at Sams.
    I did. We sea trialed last Saturday and I pulled the trigger earlier today.So as the old saying goes today is one of the two happiest days of boat ownership. I am tied up for the next couple of weekends but after then shes coming out of the water for bottom, buff and wax, and of course tackling the teak. thx