Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Painting Starboard

Has anyone painted Starboard with awlgrip paint? What method was use to prep the board and does the primer and paint bond well?

Thanks,
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Re: Painting Starboard

Nothing will stick to it.

Live with it or replace it.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

What are you making out of the starboard? I have found that PVC board which is available in lots of thickness works great for many projects. It can be painted with Awlgrip. But you do not prime it first. Sand and top coat. I made new wing boards as well as my spray boards and have been working great. Also a lot less $$ than Starboard.

I would have thought PVC board would expand and contract a lot more than starboard in hot sun ??

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    I would have thought PVC board would expand and contract a lot more than starboard in hot sun ??
    It's the other way around. Starboard is a foamed polyethylene. See the link

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tab...thermalexp.htm

Bobk

Starboard is great when you need some thickness, say for bolting heavy objects to it. It's used in a few places on my boat; mounting the inverter and electronics. Also I replaced the crapped out hatches into the flying bridge console with it as they get stepped on and laid on all the time. I see it as a replacement for many applications of plywood. But again, no, you can't paint it. Can't say I've ever seen painted PVC, that's interesting..
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Well that is good to know about starboard. I have a 53' MY, the PO had rear deck area enclosed with light ply and fiberglass below the teak hand rail. Over the years it has delamated to the point it's needing to be replaced. Looking for suggestions on replacement material. This is my late winter early spring project. Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Mike, is this like the dodger boards on the side of the boat? If so, we replaced ours with a 3/16" phenolic plastic made by Formica. I'll look up the name of the material when I get to the boat later today. Very easy to cut and paint and it has held the paint well for two years now. Also, this material is available in 5' x 10' sheets.

BTW, I left you a PM on another subject.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Tidewater Yacht Marina
    Portsmouth, VA

Or....you could just call Sams and get the original dodgerboard material and make it look right.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

For interior sections of the aft salon below railing/ windows, you could use teak.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY