Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Florida Bow Thruster-Vetus: Great Service!

I think it is just as important to pass along great service experiences as well as the bad.

I had let my thruster battery bank run low before recently replacing it. After installing two new 8D's, the thruster wouldn't work. I called FBT this morning about getting it serviced. I was handed to David Race (sp?) in tech support, who proceeded to patiently and clearly walk me through trouble shooting and fixing the issue myself, while I carried out the work. Turns out low voltage from the old bank had caused the solenoids to jam a little. After giving them a little "prostate exam" they now work fine. My thruster, an older "Bow Prop" model, came with the boat when I bought it, so is well out of warranty.

This is the kind of service enlightened companies provide. Will Vetus/FBT become a vendor of choice for me from now on? Absolutely. Will I tell this story multiple times? Of course.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Re: Florida Bow Thruster-Vetus: Great Service!

Thanks George. It is so very important that we share our good experiences as well as the bad. If I ever have thrusters installed, I would certainly use FBT.

I had a similar experience with Glendinning some years ago. While heading to Fla on my annual trip north/south with the seasons I ran into a little problem with my Glendenning sync. I called them for advice and was connected to Paul Glendenning who started to explain what may be wrong. After a couple of minutes he asked where I was and I told him in S. Carolina near Little River. He suggested that I hang out there for the evening and he would bring donuts at 7 AM if I provide the coffee. He came over the next morning and about an hour later I was on my way....cost? A hand shake.

Walt

X 2 on Vetus. Although I didn't use FBT, I had several conversations with them before my purchase. First rate folks!
    And I love my Vetus.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    X 2 on Vetus. Although I didn't use FBT, I had several conversations with them before my purchase. First rate folks!
    And I love my Vetus.
    Jeff, since they are the distributor for Vetus, they got a some piece of your purchase. Now you know you'll get good support. A real side benefit of this was that now I know my entire thruster system extremely well; I'd taken it for granted other than putting a modern prop on it with a new zinc. Not that it is all that complicated, but I had no manuals on board and David did a super job educating me.

Walt, yes, Glendinning is definitely another one. So is Ideal. Life time support at its best.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Groco in Hanover, MD, is also like that- I had trouble with a Groco FW system pump on my boat, and called the factory. The owner of the company got on the phone and told me he would stop by my boat on his way home, and did. Climbed down into the engine room, showed me what was wrong with it, and got it going. I've bought a lot of their products since then, always thinking about that day.

Most guys in the marine industry just don't get it. Here it is: It's much easier to keep an old customer than it is to go find a new one. PS, It's pretty EASY - most of the time - to keep a customer happy. It's great to find the good vendors.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Well said Eric.

Also add reverso, depco and delta t to the list of suppliers who "get it."
    Shawn
    58 MY

Don't forget Steve...spcoolin. he has probably help more people than most.

And don't ever forget---what's his name?......Sam--SAM'S Marine. They have always helped me out even if by saying that the part is no longer made. THANKS SAM'S!!! For the service and the site.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Great posts guys...keep them coming. I especially liked Eric's post because it makes a lot of sense. Does everyone notice a trend here? Most of these businesses are SUCCESSFUL. Probably because of their business philosophy.

Walt