Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aft Hallway Lighting

The aft hallway between my split engine room has overhead 32V lighting operated by three way wall mounted switches in my Master and by the ER doors. However, I would like to figure out a way to add some sort of 32V, 110V or even high quality battery operated lighting which is motion activated back there. I tried in the past and the battery powered motion activated lights either were useless or didn't work at all. Has anyone done this or is there an easy way to do so.

Re: Aft Hallway Lighting

We have OEM 32v and an aftermarket 110v flourescent in the hallway/workshop outside the ER. I find that I never use the 32V in that area anymore (unless the shore power or gensets are off)because it simply isn't enough light. Not sure how much light you need, but you could put halogens or tubes up there....

Atlanta Light Bulg carries higher wattage 36 volt bulbs.

They draw a lot of juice and throw more heat but I use them in the safety fixtures in the ER to get more light.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Jeff - I am really just trying to find enough light so there is no trip hazard or, as the case may be, I do not walk nose first into a closed Master door. I can always use battery powered LED stick on motion sensor lights but I was hoping for a better solution.

What about installing a motion sensor switch on existing lighting?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?section=17219

Or this might be what you are looking for

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/T...tch-Satin.html
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 01-20-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Shawn - both good suggestions but I was hoping to avoid having to install a 110V outlet in this hallway. Believe it or not, there are no outlets there now. Also, I have several devices that will turn a wall plate into a motion detector but all of the lights now controlled by the wall plates are 32V and I have not even bothered looking to see if those wall plates can be converted to motion sensors. Unless George or anyone else with a split hallway like this has come up with a good solution, I may be stuck with the small battery powered LED motion sensor lights but I suspect that they do not put out any sort of real light to speak of.

I have a friend with a 56 MY that uses battery operated motion sensor lights. while I'm not crazy about the way they look, have to admit there are a few bumps and bruises that could have been avoided if i did use them...

Sorry I couldnt ne more helpful.
    Shawn
    58 MY

I keep an LED night light in the AC outlet in the guest head that puts out enough light to see through the aft companionway.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

A PO installed rope lights along the floor on each side of our companionway. They provided a nice light, but the installation was messy and I removed them. Now I wish I had something like that back.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hey Sky

I am planning on having some moldings run out of teak that I want to install around the master berth and in companionways that will allow me to put some led rope lighting an inch or so above the deck. I think this will give it an OEM look, hide the lighting from above etc. Just need to figure out how to deal with the radius around corners.

See attached and let me know if you are interested and I'll share sourcing and maybe we can getter price for volume.

I am open to ideas about size and shape also. I think a simple bullnose will look best but could be convinced to do an ogee or something.

2012_01_20_17_29_230001.jpg
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 01-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Shawn
    58 MY