Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: SMX A/C controls

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    That looks great, Steve. I really like the remote. Great pricing too.

But you can use the Coastal for the two speed fan. Just leave the two speed switch there and set the controls to high.

Yours is a better option though and here is the wiring diagram:

http://marinaire.com/v/marinaire/dow...on-diagram.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    It looks like the Marine Air unit requires 220volt AC power. Our boat has only 120 VAC on board. Am I wrong??
    Again guys...If you would visit my site/s you would see there is a 120 volt version too...

http://marine-ac.com/marketplace/mar...-110-120-60hz/

BTW...These controls are MarinAire...Not to be confused with Marine Airrrr controls which I sell also.
    Not to worry though...I think MarinAire intended the confusion

The thing with the MarinAire control linked is it is designed for fan motors with more than one speed winding...So like the Coastal & two speed motors needing to use an external speed switch...With the MarinAire control you would need a rheostat in-line to slow a single winding variable speed motor like you have Maynard...If your speed control is still good you can wire thru that or if not I can sell you a replacement or...Just go to Home Depot & get a light dimmer...which would be cheaper.

Part of the reason I picked up MarinAire is for you guys with Hatt's & the larger 2 speed blowers they used in the salons.

Steve~
    Last edited by spcoolin; 01-11-2012 at 07:11 AM.

I had digital controls put in a few years ago- the installer up here used Marine Airrr controls, which have worked fine. They are absolutely the best thing for marine HVAC, there is no comparison at all. Steve's weren't around then. I would use those if I were doing it now. At least one of our members has had problems with Coastal and had one go up, although it worked for several years.

The digital controls have a great deal of flexibility in the way you program them- including a dehumidify cycle that runs the compressor every half hour or so that you can use when you are off the boat. Also, I think they will shut off the system and defrost it if the compressor turns into a ball of ice, am I right, Steve?

It's funny the things that really increase your pleasure in the use of your boat. Often it's the little stuff that makes the most difference. Digital AC controls were one of those things for me. Another was a good water system supply pump, in my case a Groco WSP-80. Pan heaters for the engines were another one. And a coolant loop through the water heater. Of all of them, the digital AC controls have probably made more difference in comfort while on the boat but not running, of anything I have put in.

Oh- custom foam mattress for V-berth, another big plus.

So for the single speed fans, it looks like the Coastal would be a better bet. That way you can have automatic fan speed control without the manual adjustment with a rheostat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    So for the single speed fans, it looks like the Coastal would be a better bet. That way you can have automatic fan speed control without the manual adjustment with a rheostat.
    Actually that would depend on the Air handler he has Sky

Even though the EBS-16 air handler (which Hatteras used may of) was never wired that way...It did have a motor with 2 speed winding's...One (the low speed) wire was just capped off...but could be connected & used with the MarinAire control...

Yes they all have dehumidify functions but all go about it differently...

SMX is setup on a time basis: X hours off, X mins pre-fan & up to 60 min compressor run time...Each parameter is programmable for your locale & humidity levels...Once set you don't need to do it again.

Coastal & Marine Air: Sample the cabin temp with 10 min pre-fan than start compressor & will lower the temp 2-4-6 degrees but with a compressor run time limit of 1 hour.

MarinAire: Actually has a Rel Humidity sensor & you can set the humidity level you want from the control or remote...Run time is based on what is needed to maintain the level you set when leaving.

Yes they also have de-icing cycles that also work differently...I won't go into all that because there are many if's & buts...but they do work...Though it sounds like Maynard's problem was a bad T-Stat..

From his description...He's lucky he still has a compressor...I would not rely on that old T-stat either.
    At the very least he needs to replace it...

Steve~

Steve that looks like the webasto controls.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Steve and everybody else. I just ordered the MarinAire control from the web. Now I have to spend some time with my paperwork to find out if we have a 2 speed blower or whatever. Our current 3 knob speed control gives very little change in fan speed as you rotate the rheostat from one limit to the other. I don't think that is worth having. Tune in for the next chapter as I do the installation.
    Last edited by Maynard Rupp; 01-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

I hope you ordered it from Steve's Web site.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I hope you ordered it from Steve's Web site.
    The fact he has to figure out what he has, I am thinking not. Steve would have made sure everything was matched first.
    Hope I am wrong!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Guys~

Maynard did place his order on my site...Thanks Maynard !

Thing is he did what most would do & paid thru the PayPal link...Which is Ok I guess, but like mentioned above...When done that way I don't get to review the order to offer any advise before the customer is charged what it says with standard shipping rates...

My brother (my web guy) insists that we need this option (order & pay on-site) but I prefer the more personal touch that I usually give...I can see where the PayPal thing is easier, but as in Maynard's case....Somehow 2 of the Bezels were ordered (only need one) and I feel he was overcharged for freight...

The only way I can see to remedy this is to void the PayPal transaction and do as I normally do and send him an invoice with a link on it to pay...To me this works out better if any of you do place orders with me in the future...

Thanks,
    Steve~

Steve I think you should give the option to work with you but if they choose to go on their own it's game on. Everyone I know that shops aggressively online gets taken here and there and I think deserves it. I have spoken to you as have many others on the site and it would have been worth his time to call, thank you for all the help and place the order correctly. After all we are supposed to be a group with similar social and recreational interests it's nice to speak to each other.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.