Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

SMX A/C controls

Our 36' Hatteras has the older 3 knob controls for the A/C. I am contemplating a change to SMX controls for the larger salon unit. Is the installation difficult? Would this be a good change? Our current thermostat sticks occasionally and the compressor keeps runing. We do leave the A/C on when we are away to keep the humidity down. On cooler days in Miami our compressor runs until it is a ball of ice. The pressures are fine and the unit works fine again after thawing it out. The problem seems to be that the thermostat fails to shut the unit down when the boat is cold. I am not sure about this but I don't hear the thermostat click as I rotate the knob. I tried it the next day and it clicked just fine. When the unit is a ball of ice it doesn't make cold air, but the compresor is trying to run and the cooling water pump is on and flowing water just fine. That is why I am considering the SMX controls.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Re: SMX A/C controls

You need the logic board and box plus the control panel. I just rewired mine but I removed the 3 knob harness and attacked the logic box like it was from the factory.

It worked out great and I found a few wires in the old harness that were not correct.

I still have an extra system if your interested pm me.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Maynard- I went through this last summer. To sum it up, do it. I was looking at the SMX versus the Coastal Climate FX1 units. Coastal is considerably cheaper, but in my install required another wire to be run for full capability. I went with the Coastal system, and love it. I had a lot of previous owner "improvements" to undo that made the install a PITA. Took me about 4 hours a control, mostly into testing "what the heck was wired". I also found about 100' of lamp shade cord used as 120VAC (ungrounded) interior boat wiring and re-wired my outdoor courtesy lights from ungrounded 220VAC to 32VDC. Amazing what you'll find once you pull things apart. But I digress. I'm sure Steve will offer some advice. One big difference between FX1 and SMX is that the FX1's will need a total pwx replacement when the logic board fries, where in the SMX, there is a plug and play replacement logic board available. But I'm sure the new FX1 pwx might be cheaper than the SMX logic board...

Biggest improvements are the air handler slowing down when temps are reached as well as much better temperature control and "away" humidity settings. I still have a 110VAC and a 2-speed 220VAC (for the aft a/c unit) in the 3-knob controls if anyone needs them.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Coastal is easy and cheap and does the job. I installed 4 of them about 3 years ago. No problems.

http://coastalclimatecontrol.com/fx1.html
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

About 7 years ago I replaced the original controls with SMX myself with no problems. They worked much better than the old controls. About a year later I replace both original "propeller" fan A/C units with new Cruisair units. The new evaporators with centrifugal blowers make a huge improvement in cooling. I reused the SMX controls with the new units.

I have Coastals in 4 places on board, and an SMX in the master stateroom. I'd have to say I much prefer the SMX's ergonomics and controls, but hey, I didn't have to pay for it! Plus, Coastal is kind of a weird group to deal with when you have a service issue. They don't seem to believe in field service of stuff even by a very qualified tech, you have to send the control and the control box back to them.You may be better off dealing directly with Micro Air, who actually manufactures the units.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014