Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Duck Bills on VacuFlush

Getting ready to change the duck bills to see if I can get the pump to stop. Aren't the two duckbills on the suction side are the only ones that has anything to do with the vacum? Can't see where the other two need to be replaced everytime. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
    captbuddy

Re: Duck Bills on VacuFlush

Each set has its purpose. One set isolates the side before the pump and the other after. I know it seems hard to comprehend but you do need to change both sets. Its possible that the second set that you think is past the pump will not do anything but they are there as one way valves and are needed.

They are expensive and people try to reuse them with less than good results. I would change all of them out at the same time and save having to open it up again. Depending on the system design there could be more duckbills in the lines by the vacuum canisters or at any junctions.

I have seen 8 in a single system of 2 heads.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Don't mess around, change all 4. They re cheap and should last 5 years+
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks guys.
    captbuddy

X3, good advice from Scott and Pascal. It's a classic "while you're in there" PM item. If the downstream ones look good and tight lipped when you take them out, keep as an emergency spare. Two of our three systems have not had them replaced in well over 5 years that I know of (according to the PO, we account for 4 1/2 years of full time live aboard use), and never cycle unless flushed. The only reason I had to change the other set was due to a faulty system lay out by the PO; once remediated no maintenance in the last 2 1/2 years.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Another quick question if anyone is on. I know you suppose to put some type of soap on them before putting them on so they don't twist on you but I've used a star brite marine formula White Teflon lubricant for things in the past. Should this be OK to use instead of the soap? Seems like it would stay on them longer?
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

Dawn or regular dish soap works fine. remember they are in a waste water environment and are probably not made for a hydrocarbon or Teflon based lube.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Well guys, it's been an hour and half since I finished replacing the duck bills and the o ring gaskets on the pump. So far it has not started pumping. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the info.
    captbuddy

Sounds like you may have it. Good luck. I hate working on just one system on a boat. Vacuflush or not working on the heads sucks.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I spoke to fast. It has cycled a couple of times since I posted. It pumps for about 5 to 10 seconds and stops. Guess I'll go back in an try to find the leak.
    captbuddy