Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: land gen

land gen

I have a big generator here at home. I have put two new batterys in the thing in the last 3 months. It is programed to start and run for about 15 minunates and shut down weakely. The battery has exploded again today. This is the 3rd one in about three months the thing is 4 years old and has not done this befor. I want to belive it is overcharging but havent tested yet. Boy it sure is a mess to clean up battery acid every where.
    the generator is kinda big a 6 cylendar (v6 runs on propane) the generator is sure not what i am use to seeing.I am speaking of the generator that charges the battery it is only about 2inches wide kinda crazylooking. The thing is a genorack name brand.
    I just go t through cleaning up am going to wait till tomorrow to purchase a new battery. Thinking i will fi nd the cause this time. What about some idears you guys. voltageregulator?

TIM
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-15-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Re: land gen

It is likely the voltage regulator in in th alternator.

What is the DC voltage when the unit is running? 14.6 is OK. More could be an issue above 15 volts is not good.

It is also possable something is shorting out, maybe a relay, shorting to ground? are there any brunt wires.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    It is likely the voltage regulator in in th alternator.

What is the DC voltage when the unit is running? 14.6 is OK. More could be an issue above 15 volts is not good.

It is also possable something is shorting out, maybe a relay, shorting to ground? are there any brunt wires.

JM
    thanks!! No burnt wires. I am installing a battery today again. Crank the darn thing to satisfy my wife and check with the voltage meter it is my first shot to fix. Yes cold weather is comming and she is afraid of no electricity, due to ice and downed lines. Gotta satisfy. She controlls the money and the other stuff you know the drill. Tim
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.

4. Re: land gen

Batteries explode like this because something sparks where there's hydrogen (the battery is either charging or discharging, and a spark occurs where an explosive mixture is.)

This commonly happens inside the battery case and the root cause is, as noted, often severe overcharging due to a failed voltage regulator that boils the electrolyte dry and warps the plates.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Is their a maintainer charger on the system? Even unregulated 15 min a week wouldnt boil the batt enough to explode
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present