Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

"True Radius" of the Transom

We are ordering a swim platform and I need to know the "True Radius" of the transom....our set of blue prints doesn't show it and I don't know where else to look.

Does anyone have any information for a 1973 45C.

Measuring the camber is difficult while it is in the water!!!!!

Thanks for any help.

Charlotte

Re: "True Radius" of the Transom

If you can get the boat to an area where the water is still and you can stand, it may not be so hard to measure. Get a straight 2X4 a foot or so longer than the transom. Attach a couple of short lengths perpendicular to it near the ends with C clamps and pull these in tight to lock the 2X4 in position just touching the transom at the center. With the 2X4 floating, measure the distance from the 2X4 to the transom every foot and you are good to go. It may not be perfect, but if you mount the platform a few inches away from the transom (recommended) small irregulatities will not be noticed.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    If you can get the boat to an area where the water is still and you can stand, it may not be so hard to measure. Get a straight 2X4 a foot or so longer than the transom. Attach a couple of short lengths perpendicular to it near the ends with C clamps and pull these in tight to lock the 2X4 in position just touching the transom at the center. With the 2X4 floating, measure the distance from the 2X4 to the transom every foot and you are good to go. It may not be perfect, but if you mount the platform a few inches away from the transom (recommended) small irregulatities will not be noticed.

Bobk
    Perfect, Bob!

Being a shipwright myself I can tell you that's exactly what a boatyard would do.
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

One day, your life is going to flash before your eyes....
    ..Make sure it's worth watching!!!

When faced with some storm damage to mine, I called Tom Slane who has all of the original Hatt molds. The platform was probably a bit more, but I did not have to try to figure out these answers.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750