Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

garmin in hull placement

I just installed a new Garmin/Airmar M260 in the forward bilge if our LRC. Put it in the center on the bottom because it was level down there.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting a signal and starting to second guess if this unit (1kw) will shoot thru the keel portion of the keel.

Has anyone else installed one in this manner?
    Next will be to connect the Garmin 6212 to another tranducer and just dell it over the side to assure the sounder box is working properly (I'm pretty sure the box is fine though).

Thanks.

Re: garmin in hull placement

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    I just installed a new Garmin/Airmar M260 in the forward bilge if our LRC. Put it in the center on the bottom because it was level down there.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting a signal and starting to second guess if this unit (1kw) will shoot thru the keel portion of the keel.

Has anyone else installed one in this manner?
    Next will be to connect the Garmin 6212 to another tranducer and just dell it over the side to assure the sounder box is working properly (I'm pretty sure the box is fine though).

Thanks.
    You can't shoot thriugh composites. There are too many layers. The right transducer and mount will take up the issue with the angle
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The 260 is an extremely powerful shoot through, it will deliver great results once installed correctly. You have a very deep keel. You need to mount it away from the keel in a place where there will be minimum water disturbance near by. No place where there isn't anything but solid glass beneath it. Airmar prints pretty detailed instructions, didn't yours come with them? If not, you can download them I think. Also there is a guy on the THT Electronics forum that specializes in transducers and he is very helpful.

I have, via a PO their least expensive shoot through, the P79 and it works fine despite being in a not ideal location (near the AV intake). I hope to upgrade to a 260 someday, but since I only need depth and rudimentary bottom contour on occasion, it is not high on The List mine is hooked into a Furuno blackbox fish finder.
    Last edited by GJH; 11-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Portions of the keel in my, and probably most other Hatterii, are foam cored. You need a solid material to shoot through.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Hi All,

Scrod......thats really interesting.....I've been told many many times by folks here on the forum that our sides, hulls and keels are solid...

If portions of the keel are foam cored it changes "current beliefs" considerably....
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

I promise you mine is cored. I've seen it with my own two eyeballs, and have pieces to prove it. I can't say for certain that every one is, or how extensively, but they definitely used foam in some places.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I promise you mine is cored. I've seen it with my own two eyeballs, and have pieces to prove it. I can't say for certain that every one is, or how extensively, but they definitely used foam in some places.
    No such thing as a solid hatt keel. the all are foam filled and then capped but too many have cracked and needed repairs.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I'm definitely confused now....
    I have a section of the hull, just above the keel that was recently removed for my bow thruster. It's solid glass.
    So what's being said here is that BELOW this is cored??
    I find that hard to believe.

Where's Roger when we need him?

Depending where it is the keel is anywhere from 2inches to 2 feet deep. In the bow it is very small and probably has no foam up that far forward.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Portions of the keel in my, and probably most other Hatterii, are foam cored. You need a solid material to shoot through.
    From the authoritative horses mouth (Steve):

"Hatteras LRC's were 100% glass. No core material. They only tried coring on a couple of convertibles (below the waterline) back then - and quickly realized it wasn't the right thing to do."