Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: 3rd quater sold boats

Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
    Yup some of the thinking here is flawed. Even a very wealthy fisherman will think twice about spending $3-4K on fuel for a weekend trip to the stream and it will dampen his resolve to buy another big Sportfish.
    I think the fish will win this one.
    Skooch
    42 LRC Fort Pierce (4 sale)
    58 LRC New Bern
    Sorry did not mean to cofuse the issue 3 to 4 grand is not uncommon around here. Figure it a 2.5 to 3 hour run depending where you stop at the brake or go on off. Eaven run to the more fertile grounds off hatteras 4 hours it is easy to burn 300 gallons a day and the big boys 50 foot plus are burning more. A long weakend 2 days of the finest fishing in the country will cost you ........ three thousand is a easy number for two days.(fuel only)
    I may be stating somthing incorrect but SALTSHAKER is looking at a fuel burn of about 80 gallons per hour
    so for him to follow it would be 6 hours run 480 gallons times 4.oo equals 1.920 american dollars just to do the run not including the fishing time 1,920 x 2days 3,840 american dollars. Do not tell me fuel does not make a diffrence. Living in the Carolina's and wanting to blue watter fish on todays fuel cost it's costely. You guys living up state (NY) and you guys living in the Charleston S.C. area got it worse than we do here. You fellows living in florida and sutch the temperature gages don't eaven start to raise and you got the outriggers out. So depending on location will make a diffrence. ABSOLUTELY FUEL COST MAKE A DIFFRENCE BUT AS IT HAS BEEN SAID IF YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY. Forres Gump said "that's all i gotta say about that". Tim
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 11-26-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nor'easter View Post
    Prices are down because there are fewer able buyers and large inventory right? There are fewer buyers for many reasons. Less access to financing, high fuel costs, people terrified of being over leveraged and upside down in everything they own, cash cows of the past not producing (real estate of all types), contstruction and all related business is way off, 401k now a 101k, etc etc. here in so cal, the sport fish sales are commonly attributed to all of the above, but the real estate/construction being likely the biggest. Inventory has been large with people trying to dump what the cant afford, or having already lost it as a repo. People dumping boats and repo boats send prices lower as they compete for the fewer buyers. Fuel is an issue, as we also have long runs for tuna in season, but likely less so than the other general economy stuff. I personally wish that I had more free time to warm the planet and burn more fuel. I am no fat cat by any means, but I have also not had to cancel a trip over concerns for fuel cost. I know that I am lucky, but I am not getting younger and need to get/keep the kids into this lifestyleso we can share it all as a family as time marches on.
    How gracefully put! Tim (stay in your budget)

The economy is heartless!!!

When I can afford a boat, I can't afford the one I want.

When I can afford the boat I want, I can't afford a boat!!

Quote Originally Posted by PMcGiffin View Post
    However in MOP fuel prices are not the whole story. I'm interested in an LRC, I have more time than money and the cruise is what I enjoy - slow is fine. I have been tracking the '42 LRC market. There were 29 42' LRC's built. If you count listings on Yachtworld, The LRC Club and one discussed on this forum, 12 '42 LRC's (41% of 29) are on the market and none have sold since I started counting months ago. Moreover, none have changed their asking price. If fuel prices were driving the market one would expect them to sell, particularly since I understand historically '42 LRC's have been in high demand.
    PMcGiffin, That should be 29 of the 42 LRC Mark IIs. They also made 23 Mark I versions of the 42 from 1976-79. My Skooch is hull number one of the Mark IIs. So there are 52 running around somewhere. Hope you find one they are great boats.
    David
    Last edited by dastahl; 11-27-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling

If you feel like the Good Ol' Days (1980s-1990s) of tournament fishing and Bahamas trips are over, just remember the king of sport fishing putted around the 'stream in a single screw, plank hulled 40 footer at 8-10 knots. Of course I am talking about Mr. Hemingway.

Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
    PMcGiffin, That should be 29 of the 42 LRC Mark IIs. They also made 23 Mark I versions of the 42 from 1976-79. My Skooch is hull number one of the Mark IIs. So there are 52 running around somewhere. Hope you find one they are great boats.
    David
    David,
    Thanks for the info, I picked up the 29 from Ed McKnew's 2010 "Internet Guide to Trawlers and Motoryachts" '42 LRC write up.

A tip of my hat to you for your work on the LRC Club and I hope you are doing well with big Skooch.

Dan