Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Capt. Freds marine services

Hello all,

I have a question about Capt. Fred's marine services. Has anyone ever done any business with
    Them? I am planning on driving down to take a look at some cummins VT8-370-M engines they have for sale.

They could only tell me the 370 designation and the capitol 2:1 gears. One has been rebuilt and one is a running take out. I am concerned because how can you rebuild an engine unless you have an exact model number?

They have been nice to deal with so far and have agreed to show me parts list for the rebuild and run the motors for me.

Thanks for any advice,

E

Re: Capt. Freds marine services

Why those engines? Is that what you have?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well,

I pulled the 871s out to begin rebuilding. Both Motors need overhaul. M20s are shot. Considering the price to rebuild motors and gears I can have running motors and gears at half the cost and time.

I spoke with Tom Slane at length about these motors and they should be fine for the application.

Why, have you had a bad experience with the VT8 370 M?

E

Its a lot of work to put in old technology. They have not been made in 30 years. Although many parts are available I would think they are expensive to repair based on the limited number of running engines.

We had a water pump go bad on a customers 555. There were none available and the lead time was not weeks but months and the cost $$$$$ (and we are a cummins dealer). We just had a customer pick up a pair of 903's as spares for his dive boat because he cant get parts all the time and re powering means replacing the motor and transmission. His transmission will not fit on the new cummins blocks or we would have done it already since it was rebuilt 5 hours before a valve dropped and destroyed the engine.

If you are going from detroits you will need to replace the motor mounts, water and fuel may need to be moved or changed out and of course remember the transmissions. I would either look for a pair of RTO 871's with transmissions or rebuild your and know you have a serviceable and solid pair of engines.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I have considered all of those options. I realize that the 555 and the 903's had problems. The engine mounts in my boat are shot and will need to be rebuilt anyway. $6500.00 for a pair of working engines is still something to look at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatnomad View Post
    I have considered all of those options. I realize that the 555 and the 903's had problems. The engine mounts in my boat are shot and will need to be rebuilt anyway. $6500.00 for a pair of working engines is still something to look at as well.
    Compared to how much to rebuild your old ones?

Remember other than the new mounts they are almost drop ins. That can save a ton of labor
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.