Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

"Cored" Granite, 36mph, 300hp, 42'

That's the spec's on a current boat test of a Regal 42' MY/Contertible (?). To get 36mph out of 300hp (my 43' Hatt makes 16.7kt out of 310hp), you need to weigh 18k #'s (specs), which is half the weight of the ole Hatt. And you get corian and lots of coring. What is that? Making of a classic? Well, you'll be fast until you hit your first sea.

Well, I am getting older, grumpy, i.e. not impressed with modern gee-whiz stuff, and all the lite-wgt stuff. Yours for $533k...huff, huff...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: "Cored" Granite, 36mph, 300hp, 42'

Maybe a painting of "granite" over Styrofoam? Cored, indeed. Nothing BUT core.

Half the weight, that is not as rare as you would think. Something else you will find on the less than ideal day, many of the light weight boats use more fuel while takeing a beating.

After traveling on an old classic it's hard to understand how anyone, including me, could live with pounding of light weight boat, not to mention a broad entry hull.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Half the weight, that is not as rare as you would think. Something else you will find on the less than ideal day, many of the light weight boats use more fuel while takeing a beating.

After traveling on an old classic it's hard to understand how anyone, including me, could live with pounding of light weight boat, not to mention a broad entry hull.

JM
    How correct you are i fish with a lot of guys here around Morehead city who have the go fast boats. It is grate on the going home mode in 2 to 4 but at 4 to 6 it is a slow rough bumpy scarry ride. Them flat tailed lite glass over wood over powered ocean speedsters at best will not come closs to a classic hat in ride or value as it gets older..