Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV and Internet

TV and Internet

We are going to live full time on our Hatteras 72'. I can't seem to get good information on TV and Internet. We will be cruising the Bahamas and possibly other areas the first season then maybe go to Guatemala and Rio Dulce for Hurricane season. What do we buy? Is there a one item fits all? West Marine does not seem to have any answers and does not know much about the Antenna's. So any help will be appreciated. I understand that different area's might present different results but for the most part we can start with the Bahamas. We are new to the Caribbean, thanks.

Re: TV and Internet

Your best bet for TV would be to consult KVH and Seatel and describe where you are going. There are also maps online that show coverage of different services. Satellite internet is hideously expensive, $1 a megabyte is considered a bargain, and you need a $13,000 dish to get that. Most people use wi-fi in the Bahamas, installing something like a Rogue bridge to help pick up more distant hotspots. I don't know what the situation is in Guatemala. I have used cellular in Costa Rica, also expensive and I understand more wi-fi is available down there now. For coastal cruising the US cellular is the best coverage bet with good hi speed access available from the major carriers.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

KVH and Direct TV work well throughout the Bahamas and internet is available in most every settled Cay,but I would invest in a directional WIFI antenna for fringe areas.Just scan the area,aim it at your best signal and log on. Bahamas Wimax and OII are pretty much everywhere there.
    Tony Cabral
    Hatteras 42C "BUSTER"
    Hope Town
    Abaco Bahamas
    42' POST / "GHOST MOVE"
    New London Ct

Hi Los Suenos,

I am in Guatemala on the Rio Dulce right now, the KVH and the Seatel will not work this far south. The internet will work but it is EXTREMELY expensive as mentioned by GJH. Most all of the marinas have WiFi here or we use the Tigo Wireless Stick. Once a week they have "triple time" days so you buy your internet and get free phone minutes or you can pay monthly but no free phone minutes. It ends up being so cheap it's not worth having the others. Hope that helps.

Gordon